XXVI

The next day arrived sooner than you'd have liked. After another night of sleep that didn't relieve your fatigue, you woke up only to see the black ski mask of your captor. You immediately frowned at this. He didn't really put on his mask much around you unless you were going to be brought out of the room. Sure, maybe it was just time for breakfast, but a pit in your stomach told you that it was far more likely that today you'd be returning to training.

You sat up and stretched a bit as Hoodie suddenly began to speak, "it's been decided that the last fight will be in three days." This news only made your frown deepen.

You let your gaze fall to the ground as you muttered, "so that means training starts again today, right?"

He sighed and nodded, "yeah..." as he then went to go get your bat from the closet. The black metal baseball bat that had ended Sadie's life shined like it was brand new. You could guess that he had cleaned it after the first fight, much to your relief. But even though it was clean, your stomach swirled with discomfort as you stared at it. All it did was flood your mind with bad memories. It had only been a few days, and as much as you tried to shove those images down and ignore the guilt you felt, you couldn't.

Two sides of your mind seemed to be constantly screaming at you. One knew what you had to do in order to at least have a chance of surviving, while the other wanted you to just succumb to your guilt and fall over and die. You felt like shit. There was no other way to put it. Filled with self-hatred, guilt, and anger, you could barely even focus on what was happening around you.

That's why when Hoodie cleared his throat you nearly jumped backwards. You promptly rubbed your eyes before looking up at him and finally realizing the hand which he had held out for you to take, which you soon did. He carefully pulled you up to your feet before heading to the door.

You were led out of the room and through the empty halls. Soon enough you arrived at the kitchen and sat down in your usual seat. As Hoodie went to go get you breakfast, a familiar white mask wearing man walked into the kitchen, his black combat boots making his every step loud. He spared you only a glance as he walked right passed you and to the fridge. You sighed as you looked around the room boredly before your gaze fell back on him. His usual tan jacket was replaced with a plain black sweatshirt, though his blue jeans stayed the came. He was a shorter man, perhaps even shorter than you, but his build definitely gave him the intimidation he lost from that. Anyone could tell he was strong even with only his hands currently visible. Fortunately though, thanks to Marble Hornets, you did know what he looked like beneath his unsettling mask.

Nonetheless, Masky wasn't someone to be messed with let alone underestimated. You didn't doubt that he could simply knock someone out with a single punch to their face, and you knew how cold he could be. Ruthless even. Sadie's skin had been covered with bruises and cuts, maybe even some burns from his cigarettes. He clearly couldn't empathize with most people which rightfully gave most people the impression that he just didn't care. The more you thought about it, if he was only cold maybe he wouldn't be so frightening. Jack was cold, and as scary as that was his behavior seemed to be mostly predictable. What scared you about Masky was his anger. It never seemed to fade, even if he was calm at the moment. Every time he looked at you you could feel just how much he wanted to yell and cuss at everyone around him. And unfortunately this made him extremely easy to provoke.

You sighed at your thoughts as Masky finally settled on something in the fridge. He pulled out a bottle of water as well and what looked to be the ingredients for grilled cheese.

You silently watched the two men cook until a plate of toast was set in front of you which you then began eating. Hoodie soon went back and made himself something to eat while Masky was in the process of flipping his grilled cheese. You continued to watch them as you ate, your mind still full of conflicting thoughts.

𓂂𐬹⊗☆☆☆⊗𐬹𓂂

Your old routine of breakfast, morning training, lunch, afternoon training, shower, dinner, and going to sleep had returned for the past three days. The first day was mostly just a review along with some strength and agility training. You were unfortunately forced to do many push-ups and sprints that day. You had to admit things were getting easier to do though, you could feel yourself getting stronger and your movements were becoming more fluid, they were beginning to feel almost natural. With every swing of the bat or punch you threw, you felt yourself becoming more confident. You felt like you could actually fight now, and fight well.

To your relief, Hoodie seemed rather pleased with this as well. You were getting better every day, and sparring was no longer just you getting knocked down twenty times until he let you rest. He could still beat you with ease, but at least it wasn't immediate. He seemed proud of both himself and you.

The second day was where sparring came in the most. He'd teach you a move, and then you'd fight. It was tiring, but it definitely helped. And even when you were exhausted from trying to dodge Hoodie's punches, he still made you run laps and do various exercises. By the end of that day you had immediately fallen asleep after returning to his room.

Then day three came and the intensity grew even more. Training went late into the evening that day and until you could hardy get up anymore. He was pushing you past your limits, and while that could be a good thing, you really needed to rest. With the final fight just tomorrow you knew why he was doing this though. He wanted to win. He wanted you to win, to beat Jade. And so did you. You didn't want to die, you wanted to win, and hopefully that meant you'd get to live.

You went to sleep that night after what felt like hours staring at the wall. You couldn't believe how long you'd been here and how much you had changed. You could fight now and actually hold your own, and now you were even fond of a serial killer of all people. You were a different person, you were a murderer now, and you planned to do it again. Jade had to die. She had to in order for you to live. And at this point you were okay with that. Neither of you were innocent, you had both taken the life of someone you cared deeply about. You couldn't say you deserved to live more than her, yet you intended to murder her in cold blood in order to lengthen your lifespan. It was sick, but so were you.

With that the next day soon came, your nerves making you wake up before Hoodie even did. It was early, and even with the blanket Hoodie had been nice enough to give you, the coldness of the room still got through and made you shiver. You curled up into a ball and wrapped your arms around yourself as you went over what would be happening later today.

The last fight, the one thing standing in the way of your survival, would only be happening in a couple of hours. If you made it through this you might just get to live. But Jade would die. Emery was dead, Sadie was dead, and if you win Jade would be too. You frowned at this as your brows furrowed. Would it even be worth it?

Even if it wasn't, what choice did you have? It was your life or hers, and you had already decided that today you were going to be selfish.

You were going to kill Jade, because you were going to live.

4.1 pages · 1,423 words