XXVII

Hoodie, Jack, Jeff, and Masky all stood around you, just silently watching. Your tears kept coming as the only thing your eyes could focus on was Jade. It was just like last time. You couldn't look away, and you felt so terrible. You had killed another person, and though you knew damn well if you hadn't managed to win, you'd be laying dead in her place. Yet you still felt overwhelmingly guilty. Your body was shaking and your mind tuned out everything but the sound of your sobs and sniffles. Your eyes were wide, red, and puffy and your throat already stung from your cries.

Everything hurt, but nothing would hurt more than knowing that you had survived this mess, and to do that, you had killed two people, your friends. How pathetic could you be? Letting your captors have so much control over you, letting them force you to kill your friends.

But no. That's not what happened. They couldn't truly force you. You could try to blame them as much as you wanted to, but at the end of the day, you'd always know that this was your fault. You didn't have to fight back. It was you that had decided your survival was more important than Sadie's and Jade's. It was you that had followed along with Hoodie's orders and allowed him to influence you. And it was you that had gotten you all stuck here in the first place.

It was your fault, and as you screamed this at yourself in your mind, you only cried harder. Your hands moved to your head and your nails dug into your scalp as you rocked back and forth. What the fuck had you done? What was wrong with you?

As hateful and guilt-filled thoughts swarmed your mind, your nails dug into your skin so hard you thought it'd draw blood. Yet you didn't even seem to care at the moment. You wanted the pain to stop, or at least switch to just physical. But you knew that wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

That's when two gloved hands wrapped around your wrists and brought your arms down. You slowly looked up to be met with the red eyes of Hoodie's ski mask that at the moment only reminded you of the blood splattered all over your clothing. You tried to pull your hands away with a weak whimper as you switched your gaze down to the grassy floor. But then his grip tightened ever so slightly and panic wove its way into your thoughts, making you thrash around to get away. What if he had been lying? What if he was still going to kill you? You wanted to scream, but your heart and throat ached far too much to try. He wouldn't do that to you, he couldn't do that to you... right?

Hoodie let go of you with a sigh, and it was only then that you realized the other three had left, leaving the two of you alone. He glanced behind him before taking off his mask and stuffing it into his pocket. This admittedly managed to calm you a bit, though you couldn't help but dwell on the many what-ifs of this situation.

Hoodie looked to you with eyes full of sympathy as he gently spoke, "It's over, you won. Now just breathe, everything's going to be okay. I promise." But you didn't know if you could trust that promise.

You wanted to believe him more than anything, but you just couldn't bring yourself to. He could be lying straight to your face, and you wouldn't know until it was too late.

With another sigh, Hoodie held out his hand, "Come on, let's go inside. The others will clean this up and you won't have to think about it anymore."

You started at his hand with uncertainty. His hands were large and warm, and from the times he'd taken off his gloves you knew they were calloused from the various tasks his job required. They were the hands of a man who had ended the lives of so many. Whether he had strangled them, shot them, or hell, even bashed in their skull with a baseball bat. You knew who he was, you knew what he was, yet after only a few seconds of thought, you took his hand and let him pull you to your feet.