Eighteen

(This chapter is short as well)

Alex and I went to Mark's house to visit. I entered the house.

"Mark?" I said as Chica, Mark's golden retriever ran up to me. "Hi Chica." she licked my face.

I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. It was Mark.

"Hey Bree." he hugged me. "I knew you guys would come." he looked at Alex. "Nice to see you again, Alex."

"Nice to see you too, Mark." Alex responded.

"Are you two staying for dinner?" he asked.

"We definitely can."

"Good." he smiled and walked into the kitchen. "Now sit, I'll get started on dinner."

Alex and I sat down on the couch. I went to the bathroom, but I stopped to see my old bedroom. The whole room was purple. The walls, my bedsheets, the rug, the curtains, etc. I sat down on my bed. Alex was in the doorway.

"Is this your old room?" he asked.

"Yeah, when Mark adopted us, he told us that we could decorate however we wanted. Mark picked out the purple paint and I helped." I smiled.

"Wow, it's beautiful."

"I was like eleven or twelve years old."

"Dinner's ready!" Mark said. We went downstairs to the kitchen and sat down.

"Have you guys heard of the murders?" Mark asked.

"Yeah."

"It's weird that they haven't found anything yet." he ate a piece of broccoli. "You think they would've."

"Yeah." Mark and I looked at each other. "What?"

"After school is over, are you coming back to stay over the summer?"

"Yeah, I probably will." I sighed. "Where's Ashley?"

"At work."

"Of course."

~~

After dinner, I was washing dishes while Alex and Mark were on the couch looking at baby pictures of me.

"This is her on her 13th birthday."

"Look at that babyface." Alex chuckled.

"I heard that." I said. I finished the dishes and dried my hands off. I yawned. "I guess we better get going. Alex and I have a date tomorrow." I smiled.

"Our three month anniversary." he smiled.

"Wow, three months."

"We'll see you later, Mark." I closed the door behind me. We went to the store to buy some wine for our date tomorrow.

"Which wine would go perfect with pasta?"

"A classic red wine." I said.

"Okay, what about dessert?"

"Rhubarb wine."

"Let's go pay for these." he said and grabbed the bottles of wine to pay for them. I went outside to wait for him.