Twenty-Nine

*ANOTHER TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains a school shooting. If you are triggered by this subject, do not read. Reader discretion is advised*

(Another short chapter...)

"Bree, what are you looking at?" Alex asked.

"This guy looks pretty sus-." I got cut off by gunshots and then screaming. The intercom came on.

"We have issued a lockdown. Stay inside your dorms, lock your doors, lock your windows. This is not a drill!"

"Fuck me." Alex hid in the closet. I woke up Calena and she hid under her bed. I locked the door and closed/locked all of the windows. I hid under my bed. I decided to text Mark.

'Mark, the campus is on lockdown. There's an active shooter.'

'Oh no, are you guys alright?'

'Yeah, we're okay. Alex, Calena and I are all hiding.'

'Good, keep me updated.'

I put my phone away and prayed that we're surviving this. We all heard heavy footsteps and more gunshots, then screaming. The gunman tried opening the door.

'No!' Calena whispered. I motioned her to be quiet. 'I don't wanna die... Not like this...'

'I don't either but we need to be quiet.' I whispered back. I heard more gunshots and more screaming. Then the footsteps walked away. I quietly sighed with relief.

_____________________________________________________________

A few hours later, Alex woke me up and told me the lockdown was dismissed. I got out from under the bed and I told Calena as she was asleep like I was.

"Thank God, we're all safe." I sighed. I texted Mark.

'The lockdown's over.'

'Good, are you guys safe?'

'Yeah, we are.'

We watched the news that night.

'Earlier today, a crazed gunman took over a local California college. Some witnesses say that they heard some gunshots before the lockdown was initiated. The gunman killed eight and injured five. Those that were injured are getting treated at the local hospital. We'll have more information later tonight.'

"Eight students?"

"Jesus!" Alex said.

_____________________________________________________________

'We have more information about the shooting that took place earlier today. The gunman was identified as Johnathan Storm, who killed eight students and injured five. He committed suicide hours after he overran the college. More information about the tragedy will be on our news website.'

"That's really sad." Calena said.

"Yeah, it is. You should never take anyone for granted because shit like this can happen." I sighed.

"True."

The rest of the day was pretty depressing. Eight students were killed and five were injured. People are sick and twisted.