2

t w o

It was no secret to anyone that when a teenagers' parent's were out of town, there was going to be a party that night.

So when Jaime came to me at the end of the day, a suspicious look on her face, I knew what was on her mind without her having to say a word.

"No."

"But Maddy," she groaned, nudging me lightly as we exited the school, "A party's a party!"

"And this one is at Luke's house and I'm not going to go," I shrugged my shoulders, tucking a strand of my brown hair behind my ear, "I'll practically be there because I can hear it through my walls." I rolled my eyes.

"I can't just show up there without you," she groaned as we reached her car and she unlocked her doors, allowing us to both get in, "Can't you just come with me and hang out for a while and then just go back to your place?"

"And what would people say if I showed up to my mortal enemies' party?" I tried to reason, "Do you know how much that would also inflate his ego?"

"Ugh," she groaned, knowing how unlikely it was going to be to convince me to go tonight. I could be a party person by all means, and with Luke's parent's out of town came mine out of town as well, as they had gone on some dumb group trip together. But there was no way I was going to be making an appearance at the Hemmings' household tonight. Not if I could help it, "Please? I've had such a bad day."

"Then tell me about your bad day." I sighed as she maneuvered through the parking lot, making it onto the road in the direction of my house.

"Well, first of all, bio was an absolute nightmare."

"What happened?"

"What didn't happen is the better question," she groaned, "Mr. Sykes canceled the quiz we were having tomorrow, meaning I rushed through my notes for nothing. He misplaced my essay project and is making me resubmit it because he's convinced that I just didn't hand it in. Oh! And I got paired with Stephanie for our next culminating on DNA replication! The girl doesn't have shit in her brain!" she groaned once more, raising her voice towards the end to truly express her frustrations.

I shook my head at her words, cringing at her being partners with Steph. The girl got through highschool by getting others to do work for her — and it was a miracle that that's how she'd managed to survive, "Sorry about Steph, Jai," I shook my head again, switching to one of her other raised issues, "Also, if Sykes knows that he's the one who misplaced the project, then why is he deducting late marks?"

"I got no f*cking clue," she huffed, pressing on the accelerator to speed through an amber light, "Sooo, in honor of my shitty day, can we please go to his party tonight?"

I pursed my lips together, lightly shaking my head, "Jaime." I lightly whined, really not wanting to give in to her.

"I've had a bad day!" She raised her point, "Can't we just go? Please?"

I screwed my eyes shut, writhing in my seat as I whined, "Fine! We'll go!"

"Thank you!" she gushed, her sour mood turning into a much better one just by my compliance, "Was that so hard?"