16

s i x t e e n

"And when exactly did this happen?"

Jaime closed her locker with a sigh, "Since I suck at math and the guidance counsellor says my grade from last term wont be enough to get me into any ivy league programs when application time comes," she groaned, pressing her forehead to her locker and shutting her eyes, "So now I've lost my spare and have Advanced Maths and am already at risk of failing!"

"I wish I could help," I sighed, pursing my lips as she straightend in stance and turned to me, "Maybe there's someone who can tutor you." I suggested.

To that, she rolled her eyes, "Yeah, right."

"I'm serious!" I giggled at her reluctance, "There must be someone who you can ask who can help teach you the material."

"I tried!" she groaned again, leaning her side against her locker. We still had a few minutes to spare before the warning bell to our classes rung, "I asked a few girls in the class but most of them said they were too busy, some were struggling just as much as me, and the remaining three are anti-social and wouldn't talk to me."

"Well what about-"

"The boys are pretending to pass so they can be alone with me," she drawled, annoyance seeping through her tone as she rolled her eyes, "And I really need to pass."

"I wish I was good at math," I frowned, sensing her frustration, "Then I could help you study."

"I should've just listened to you and not taken it last term; Come up with a new career path," she shook her head, her curled hair framing her face in beautiful ringlets, "Why did I do this?"

"Because you want to be an accountant, of all things." I mused. She huffed at my amusement and rolled her eyes before the ringing of the bell signalled that there were now five minutes until classes started.

Pushing herself off her locker, we walked side by side down the hall and towards our classes. When we bumped into Steph along the way, Jai all but sighed.

"Hey girls," Steph pushed a hand through her also curled hair before fluffing it, "How do I look?"

"Like you're going to be late to first period." Jaime shrugged, not caring that the boredness in her tone seeped through her sentence.

"You look nice," I shrugged instead, Steph's faded green cropped shirt and black short shorts making her look no different then she usually did. Suddenly, my eyes lit up, "Wait a second; Aren't you in advanced maths, Steph?"

"Mhm." she hummed absentmindedly, reaching into her bag and grabbing a tube of lipgloss from the front pouch.

I looked between the two of them before resting my gaze on Jai, "There you go! Steph can tutor you in maths!"

"I'm pretty damn certain that I would rather fail."

"Wait what?" Steph pursed her lips together to smooth her lipgloss over them as she shoved the tube back into her bag and tuned into the conversation.

"Aren't you in advanced maths?" I asked again, "Jai needs a tutor."

"Don't look at me for that," she scoffed, "I only go because Luke is in my class. Some decathalon nerd does all my work, and my mark is high enough from him that I don't really need to worry about the tests... Victor something, I think is his name? I don't really care."