25

t w e n t y f i v e

"What happened between you and Harmony?"

Out of the three main questions that I had the urge to ask and the millions of ones in between, that was the one I was sure I'd get every answer out of. I knew that whatever happened between him and I was at the result of whatever happened to him and her. Therefore, he'd have to go into what happened between the two of us.

As for what happened between him and Jared, I suspected that that was somehow woven into what happened between Luke and I as well. There would have to be an answer there. There just had to be.

"Wait!" I stopped him just as his mouth opened to speak and he rose a brow at my interruption, "Wait, no, that's not the right question."

"Mads-"

"No no, I'm changing my question," I cut him off, taking a breath, "Okay. New question; Why do you hate me?"

I felt like that was a good place to start. I mean I was always so curious as to what happened between the two of us and he was always saying how it was my fault, yet I never knew how.

Luke bit his lip at that question but before he could even answer, I was once again stopping him, shaking my head, "Wait wait, no. Not that one. Uh, okay hold on. Let me think."

Rolling his beautiful blue eyes, he shook his head and stood from my bed, "Should I just come back later or?"

"No!" I stopped him, "I just.. I need to make sure I pick the right question. Since I only have one."

Looking up at Luke, he seemed to be slightly anxious as he awaited whatever question I chose to settle on. I wanted it to be one of the harder ones. He was so closed off that it was hard to know anything about him these days, yet this was my chance to get some answers.

I just had to make sure I chose the one that question that gave me the most answers.

I shut my eyes for a minute as Luke took a seat back down beside me, silent and nervous. I could hear the shuffle that was caused by the rise and fall of his bouncing leg, and when my eyes opened again, I knew what question I wanted to ask.

"Okay," I begun softly, turning to fully face him though I was only faced with his side profile, "What happened between you and Harmony."

I circled back around to my initial question because again, I knew it would give me the most answers. Answers that would hopefully satisfy the thousands of questions that I neglected to choose from. At the mention of Harmony's name, and the question, a regretful look washed over his face.

He didn't like that one, it seemed.

I let myself recall the party at Steph's house after the first game of the season, when Luke and I had been fooling around in one of the bedrooms and she had showed up, making me hide in the closet. She had mentioned something about thinking Luke and I weren't friends anymore because I had found out about what happened between them. Saying that it was the summer before she stopped coming to visit. Was he about to tell me what exactly that was?

"Is that your final desicion?" he asked, checking to make sure. Or maybe he was checking to see if I would change my mind to an easier one. His secretive nature only made me all the more reassured that this was the right question to ask. A hard one that he wanted to avoid.