Epilogue [part 3]

a/n // content/trigger warning: mention of rape/assault

The table jostled as my mother, Liz, and Aunt Marge jumped from their seats, squealing like teenage girls, their screams a high enough octave that I was surprised they hadn't shattered glass.

My mother was around the table in seconds and actually pulled me to my feet to hug me, her affection so shocking that I could only just stand there.

Liz was next, jumping up and down, laughing and giggling as she hugged me before turning to Luke, still sitting in his chair, and wacking the back of his head.

He flinched. "Mum!"

"Don't you dare use that tone with me," she smacked him again and then showered his face in kisses. "How dare you keep this a secret! We've been waiting years to hear this news!"

"Maybe because it felt like an impending doom—ow! Dad! Can you tell her to stop hitting me?"

Andrew chuckled, not having moved from his chair, only watching with my dad as the women lost their minds. "Elizabeth—"

"No, Andy. This is the one thing I've ever wanted for him and he had the nerve to keep it a secret from me. I will discipline as I see fit."

"Congratulations, Madeline," dad smiled at me as I finally sat back in my seat, Aunt Marge, mom and Liz returning to their seats as well. "This is wonderful to hear."

My cheeks burned red.

"We need details!" Aunt Marge clapped happily. "Why on earth did you keep this a secret?"

"Yes Luke, why?" Liz shook her head at him.

He scoffed. "Maddy wanted to keep it a secret."

"Because she's embarrassed by you?" Jack chuckled to himself, shaking his head before throwing me a glance. "It's okay, Mads. I'd be, too."

"Shut up," Luke bit out. "You don't know anything."

"Then tell us!" Liz cheered. "We want to know everything! Are you two still in the honeymoon phase? Oh, how many weeks has it been? How new is this?"

Luke and I shared a glance.

Tell them, his eyes said.

I just told them we're dating. You are telling them the rest.

My mother leaned over to my dad, "Look at them! Communicating without words. That used to be us, David."

"Okay, Eden."

Luke and I looked back at everyone, and Luke cleared his throat, rubbing the back of his neck. "Well," he shrugged, knee still bouncing under the table. "Last week—"

"Just a week ago?" Liz swooned. "Oh, young love. At long last!"

Harmony scoffed under her breath and I looked over at her, seeing her arms crossed, an unpleasant expression on her face. I knew she wouldn't take it well, especially after our phone call yesterday, but I thought that she was over wishing Luke and me apart, already.

She muttered under her breath, but Luke and I both heard, "A week? Not gonna last."

I knew at that moment, Luke's hatred for her grew.

He looked back around the table. "Last week," he repeated, getting their attention. "Was our six-month anniversary. We've been dating for six months."

He shot that last sentence out at Harmony, whose head almost reared back when she turned to look at the two of us. It looked as though she had been betrayed, and the expression, while unsettling, didn't cause me to regret this turn of events.