24

t w e n t y f o u r

We won.

Middleton Oak's student body erupted into cheers and hollars when Calum made the final pass to Luke, who then scored. It had been such a close game since halftime had ended and just as we discussed, he had his defensive players carry the ball past halfway. Nathan had done his head trick perfectly when he was passed the ball, soaring it across the field impeccably and into the possession of another Middleton Oak player.

Our team was able to get tied up with Gridlake that way before Luke switched plays, sensing that Gridlake had been catching on. Which he was right about. And that's how we were able to get ahead and stay ahead.

So when Luke made the final shot and scored it, everyone except Gridlake, as well as those that had come to support Gridlake, erupted into overjoyed hoots and rushed out of their bleacher seats and towards the field, joining in on the celebrations of victory along with the team.

Ashton slung his arm around my shoulders as he threw his other arm up in the air, just as overjoyed as the rest of us. When I glanced over at Jaime and Michael, I almost squealed in excitment at seeing them lip-locked.

"Get a room!" Ashton shoved Michael as he followed my line of sight, only making the couple break away. Jaime's cheeks were bright red, and when her eyes met mine, I knew she was embarrassed, "It's time to party!"

* * *

The party was at Stephanie's house and after much convincing from Ashton and Michael, I made up an excuse and went home. I wasn't really in the party mood despite the teams' victory, and Jaime dropped me home.

When I walked through the door and into the kitchen, my mother was at the table, papers scattered across the surface as she worked. She looked up upon my entry, frowning before looking at the watch on her wrist, "It's only nine. Did they not win?"

I let out a small laugh, "They won, mum, I just didn't feel like going to the party tonight."

"Oh they won?" she absentmindedly hummed happily, glancing at me from time to time from her work papers, "That's great. Luke didn't want you to come celebrate with him and Jaime?"

I turned away and busied myself with grabbing a glass of water. Somehow I always forgot that she still assumed him and I were friends, "No, I told him I was tired and Jaime dropped me home."

"Oh that's nice." she hummed again.

I sipped from my glass of water, "Is dad here? Or Aunt Marge?"

"Your father is out with a few work colleagues and your Aunt went to bed already. I just have all this paperwork to get through and then I'm probably off to bed too. Did you eat while you were at the game?"

I sighed through my nose, "I had some popcorn."

She gave me a stern look but didn't press the matter further, chatting with me for a few more minutes before I finished my water and I told her goodnight, heading upstairs.

When I made it to my room I shut my door and unlocked my window. I didn't know what time he was coming but he did say he was coming. And that we would talk. But that made me weary.

Luke wasn't the talking type. He was secretive and didn't open up, when he was sober at least, and he didn't like to talk about the past or his feelings. Would I be doing all the talking? I hope not.