3

t h r e e

It was around my third drink of some type of alcoholic beverage that I was starting to feel a little better about being here.

Jaime was keeping true to her promise and had kept her arm looped through my own for just about the entire night. She dragged me from different groups of people to talk to, to the kitchen for drinks, and then back to roaming around and being social.

There were people dancing, such as Stephanie, who had of course made an appearance. She was dressed... well, actually she wasn't really dressed at all.

Her outfit was blood red; A tube top showing off her mid-driff and a skirt barely passing her behind. She was flipping her hair over her shoulder as she swayed her hips on the dance floor and stumbled every so often in her nude heels, and I couldn't help but actively laugh out loud at the sight of her.

"What's so funny?" Jaime leaned over and spoke to me, the loudness of the music causing her to have to raise her voice slightly.

I gestured to Stephanie, "That." I shook my head, giggling as I watched her. It might've been the added alcohol that induced much more of a playful side in me tonight, but watching Stephanie 'throw it back' like she was doing was making me giggle.

Jaime looked in her direction to see the sight and choked out a laugh as well, shaking her head, "Oh my gosh. That is not sexy."

I went to respond when I found my eyes drifting to a new figure that had entered my line of sight; Jared, whom had just entered the room. His brown hair was slicked back, almost pompadour style, and his attire of a plain black t-shirt and dark jeans made him still look undeniably attractive.Without being able to help myself, I stood up slightly straighter, moving my gaze past him and back to Stephanie, just in case he looked over my way.

"Woah," Jaime sipped from her bottle of beer as she observed my previous line of sight as well as my current behaviour, "Since when did you have a thing for Jared?"

"What?" I dismissed with a shake of my head, "I told you already, Jai. I don't like him. And he's with-.." my eyes drifted as I watched as Stephanie approached Jared, her hips swaying as she made her way towards him. Jai and I watched as she pulled his head down to say something into his ear yet he pulled away from her, shaking his head. My frown deepened, "He is with her, right?"

"Doesn't look like it anymore." she mused, taking another sip from her drink as we watched Steph's demeanor completly turn sour.

Jared gently pushed her away from him as she began to step closer but his eyes met mine over her shoulder and I stilled for a moment, caught in the action of openly staring.

Jared smiled at me over Steph's shoulder before glancing back down to her and uttering more words that seemed to upset her, and with that he was brushing past her.

And headed straight towards me.

"Holy f*ck, no." Jaime rolled her eyes as she muttered under her breath, turning slightly away as Jared joined us.

"You girls look great tonight." his smile had me standing taller and giving him a small smile of my own. There was just something about him that had me wanting to impress him. He was attractive, by my standards; Tall, athletic, and a great smile. Why wouldn't I want to draw his attention?