30

t h i r t y

2 meet me after the game.

That was the message that followed. I want you - 2 meet me after the game.

I felt my heart deflate and my cheeks burn, embarrassed at how quickly I thought he was telling me that he wanted me.

I shoved my phone back into my purse without responding, clearing my throat. Of course he didn't want me like that! We were just returning to being friends.. with benefits, but friends nevertheless. Why would he suddenly want me? Or even like me the way that I like him?

He had said it a million times; we were just having fun. This deal was supposed to be just having fun. And he also said he was glad we were back to being friends - why did I trick myself into thinking he meant anything other than just that?

"Oh look! There's Harmony!"

I blinked back into the present at Liz's excited tone, following her gesture to see down the field to one of the corners. The entire cheer squad was there, warming up and stretching. She stood slightly apart from most of the other girls, only a few chatting with her, but other than that, she didn't really seem like she was in with them.

"That must mean they're starting soon," Andrew munched on his caramel popcorn, shifting closer to Liz and offering her some, "Which I hope is the case, because I'm starting to really feel the chill."

"I told you to bring a scarf," Liz shook her head, "Do you want me to fetch the extra hat I left in the car?"

"I can do it," I pipped in, realizing I sounded too eager, "I don't mind."

"Are you sure?" Andrew rose a brow, "You don't have to, Madeline."

"It's the least I can do," I shrugged my shoulders, giving him a soft smile and taking the car keys from his outstretched hand, "Be back in a jiffy."

"You young people say jiffy?" Andrew chuckled, shaking his head, "And here I thought we were old."

"Not just yet, Mr. H, not just yet." I hummed in response, brushing past them. It took me a couple of minutes to weave my way through the crowded bleachers and I tried my best to ignore the whispers and stares that occurred as I passed. Everyone was looking at Luke's jersey that I was wearing, his last name splayed on the back as well as his number. I snuggled more into the material, trying to use it as some sort of protection against both the cold and the stares.

It took five minutes to reach the parking lot, and then another two to remember where the car was located. It didn't take me long to find the hat Liz had mentioned, and I noticed a scarf as well and took that too, just in case anyone needed it later in the night.

"Maddy!"

Just as I had locked the car, hat and scarf in hand, I turned around at the sound of my name being called, furrowing my brows. It was already pretty dark, save for the lights from the community center and outside the dome, so I didn't have to squint too hard to recognize the approaching figure.

"Jared..hi," I forced a smile when he got closer, noticing he was in full soccer gear. He was wearing the team's sweatpants as Luke had been, as well as a zip-up hoodie unzipped to show his uniform underneath, "Shouldn't you be with your team? Isn't the game about to start?"

"Good to see you too," he chuckled as he stopped in front of me, shaking his head at all my questions, "I was just grabbing something from my car and saw you. I'll walk you back in if that's alright?"