48

f o r t y e i g h t

It was only after I had shut the door to my house and heard Luke drive off that I realized my mistake.

My eyes widened before I slapped my hand to my forehead, groaning. "The posters!"

"The what?" Harm was walking down the stairs, a frown on her face as she questioned my statement. "What posters? And how did you get home?"

"I forgot the posters in Luke's car — dammit!" I groaned again as I shrugged off my bag and coat, taking off my boots next. How was I supposed to get those back now?

My revelation made Harm rear back. "I'm sorry, Luke's car? How the f*ck did you end up in Luke's car?"

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Someone wasn't able to come and get Jaime and I, so we had no other choice than to ask Luke, who had been walking by when you told me about the car not starting."

She looked shocked. "So you asked Luke-"

"Jaime asked him because beggars cannot be choosers in weather like this," I huff, biting my lip. "And I forgot my posters in his car because I was too concerned about getting out of there fast enough."

"What posters?"

I took a couple of minutes and explained briefly to Harm about the posters for the game that Jai and I had been working on after school, about the small fiasco of the kettle corn and cotton candy posters, and then how I agreed to repaint them since there was no other time in school to get them done.

And even after all of that, I managed to leave them in Luke's car. Dammit.

After relaying my evening events to Harmony, I made my way towards the kitchen, for once hungry for something to eat. She trailed behind me, still firing questions my way until her final one in the batch stuck out to me. "Why don't you just call him and ask him to give them back?"

"He said he's going to the library. That's in the opposite direction, and he's already on his way there. And if I wait until he gets back, that might be really late. That, and I deleted his number months ago," I finished, opening the fridge and grabbing a tub of blueberries from the top shelf.

"Well, out of respect for you, I deleted his number too," Harm shrugged, sitting at the kitchen counter on one of the barstools there. "I could ask Cal to send it to you? Or to let Luke know?"

"Maybe," I considered. I was still thinking about the interaction I had just had with him in the car. How hollow of a human being he seemed to be. Getting his number back might not be such a good idea, since I didn't really want to let him back into my life after kicking him out of it the way that I had. Had I been too harsh when I told him to never speak to me again?

Harmony grabbed a blueberry from the container in my hands and that seemed to steer me back to the present. "I'll get them from him tomorrow morning," I sigh, remembering how pale and sick he looked. "He must have noticed I left them in there, and he probably wouldn't turn around to give them back to me when he's already on his way across town."

"Yeah, let's get back to that," Harm piped up, frowning at me curiously. "He told you he's going to the library? That doesn't even sound like something he'd do."