Chapter 33: The Grim Reaper

*(Y/n)'s POV*

Sam, Tucker, and I managed to find each other after an hour or two later. The show went on after I watched a performer who was known as the Grim Reaper walking on a tightrope with his scythe. We split up, and I arrived in the cast room where Sam was walking around and she shrugged at me.

"Nothing?" I asked. "Where could-"

"What are you two doing back here?" a voice asked and we looked up and around.

"Whoa, Freakshow..." Sam said, amazed. "This is so cool."

"Focus, Sam..." I whispered, elbowing her. "Uhm, we're looking for a friend of ours who is acting kind of weird?"

"Oh, that narrows it down to...everyone in this tent!" Freakshow exclaimed, and laughed at me. Someone walked over to us in a hooded figure and he asked, "What are you doing, dolt?! Get back out there and do your encore."

"Sam?" Danny asked, pulling the hood back over his head. "(Y/n)?"

"Danny?" I called out to him. "You're the Grim Reaper?!"

"Who's that?" Freakshow glared. "Was that free will? Obey me, minion!" He raised his scepter at Danny and the red orb started swirling in front of his face. We watched as Danny's eyes glow red, and had the same swirling effect on his eyes.

"What?" I said. "You're controlling him?"

"Get them."

"(Y/n)!" Sam said, and stepped in front of me. We both screamed in fear as Danny swung the scythe at the both of us.

~~~

"Please welcome, a brand new victi-" Freakshow said, as the spotlight shone on him. "A talent to the highwire, and her first and final performance." I was watching by the entrance way, and saw Sam standing on a tight rope with Danny. He took off her blindfold by slicing it with the scythe.

She almost lost balance and I started to run forward but I knew I shouldn't. Tucker ran inside the arena and caught up with me. "(Y/n)!" he said and I turned around. "What's Sam doing?"

"Tucker, Danny is-" I started to say and heard Sam screaming in fear. "Sam!"

Danny laughed evilly and broke the tightrope with the scythe. She started falling a long way down and we were both frozen in place with our jaws dropped. I looked away with my face covered until I heard the crowd around us cheering. I peeked through my fingers and saw that Danny ended up catching her.

"Danny." we overheard Sam say. "Don't scare me like that!"

"How should I scare you?" Danny asked, his eyes turning red again. He leaned closer to her and I looked away.

Danny backed away as Freakshow walked up to her. "Consider that a warning, girl." he said, and walked away.

"Geeze, Sam, you nearly gave me and (Y/n) a heart attack!" Tucker said as we caught up to her. "Can we take time off of your gothi-palooza and actually look for Danny?"

"That was Danny!" I clarified. "Under the hood, Tucker. Freakshow's controlling him with some kind of crystal ball. Come on, guys!" I started to move, but Sam still didn't turn to us. She looked like she was thinking about Danny and that made me frown. "Sam? Are you okay?" She looked at me and nodded and followed us out of there.

We were out of the tent until her mom among the angry mob crowd stopped us. "Sam?" she called out to her. Our jaws were dropped. "Shouldn't you be in detention?"

"Uhm..." Sam started to think of an excuse. "Lancer let us out?"

"Are we late for the protests?" My mom and Mrs. Fenton asked. I looked over and saw they were holding up signs too.

"Mom? Dad?" I wondered.

"I brought the Fenton Riot Gear!" Mr. Fenton offered. He pulled out a huge gun from over his shoulder and it started whirring to life. It fired straight through a couple of signs that Sam's parents were holding. We were thankful it didn't hit them. Sam's mom glared at her husband.

"What?" He asked. "I didn't invite those guys."

"Hey..." Mr. Fenton asked Sam. "Isn't Danny supposed to be with you?"

"Not according to this restraining order he's not." Sam's mom slid in front of us. She unfolded the papers and showed it to them.

"Well, he's not here, and he's not at school..." Mrs. Fenton said, then she glanced at me. "(Y/n)? Where is he? And there better not be a cover up story."

~~~

"In the wake of the parental protest, Circus Gothica Ringmaster, Freakshow, has this challenge to his critics." A news reporter said.

"I invite you to a free performance for parents, police, and concerned authority figures." Freakshow announced. "See the show, and see for yourselves that we're harmless entertainment."

"In other news, police got a break in the recent rash in mysterious burglaries as security cam footage revealed a ghostly culprit." We watched as Danny pointed a finger at the camera and destroyed it in one piece. The video footage went out and it clipped back to the reporter. "And finally, have you seen this "out-of-shape" teacher? He was last sighted in the Casper Highschool library."

Sam turned the TV off and turned to us on the laptop. "Sam, (Y/n)!" Tucker said. "Did you catch the news?"

"We've got to do something to save Danny!" (Y/n) said.

"How ironic is it that I'm stuck under house arrest while my parents go to a free Circus Gothica show?!" Sam irritably said.

"Only slightly less ironic than the fact that they were right about it being evil." (Y/n) brought up.

~~~

*(Y/n)'s POV (continued)*

"Sam?" I called out to her. Tucker and I arrived in time but we were sort of late, getting distracted by buying a couple of items at the gift shop.

"(Y/n)?" She asked. We noticed she crawled underneath one of the freight cars. "Tucker?"

"Hey, Sam!" Tucker said, and we leaned down to her. "Aren't these great Circus Gothica hats or what?"

She stood up in between us and knocked the hats off our heads. "I'll take that as an "Or what"." I said, with a glare. We all hopped on top of the train together, and opened up the hatch. Sam jumped down and we followed her. I landed perfectly fine, but Tucker on the other hand, did not. We stared at the freight car that was filled with loads of treasures and bags of money.

Up ahead, we saw the scepter glowing. "There's the crystal ball." I pointed. "Lets grab it and-!" We fell backwards before we even started moving forward and screamed. We were blasted out of the caboose and Danny was there with Freakshow beside him. The train whistled and started rolling in reverse.

"Danny," Sam shouted. "No!"

"Yes, yes." Freakshow said. "Please scream. A shame of anyone who might help you is busy enjoying my free show!" He smiled and laughed as the train rolled away from us faster. We ended up taking a shortcut to an overpass.

"We have to jump." Sam suggested.

"You crazy?" I asked.

"Yeah, I can't jump!" Tucker said.

"And I can't abandon Danny!" She said, and that made my heart sink. She said it with such emotion that I felt like I was interfering with something that was there even before I moved in. I felt so upset that I thought maybe Sam had something with him, and I ruined it for both of them. She held out a hand towards me and I tried to give it a second thought, but I had no other choice. The three of us held each other's hand and we jumped down together. "Plus, I'll never hear the end of it if my parents are right about him being evil."

We headed for the front of the train, with me in the front. We kept going until a group of ghosts stopped us.