Chapter 34: Free Will

Tucker and Sam bumped right into me, and we turned around to see Danny appear behind us. Sam was speechless and didn't know what to say at first, so I walked in between them to face him myself. "Danny, it's us." I said, and he looked at me. "Sam, Tucker, and (Y/n), we're your best friends, remember?"

Danny took a moment to say something. His evil smile and the dark shadows underneath his eyelids were terrifying to look at. The red eyes gave off the evil vibe that frightened me even more. Then, Danny blinked and his red eyes changed to green. "(Y/n)?" he said, and I smiled. "Sam...Tucker? I..." His words started faltering and he blinked some more. He shuddered and then said, "I...am a ghost. I have no friends."

I placed my hand over my mouth and backed away slowly. "Don't waste your breath, child." Freakshow said, holding up the scepter. The three of us turned around to face him. "He's under my control now." Danny went to join up to them and stood in front of me again. "Don't just stand there. Finish them!!"

"Maybe you should try holding that thing up a little higher." Tucker said.

Freakshow did and it ended up being knocked out of his grasp after being hit by a scaffolding. Tucker leaped for the scepter, but couldn't catch him. The three of us watched as it fell away from us. I started to grab at it as well, but Danny managed to hold it in his hand and snatch it from me. He settled down to the ground, and smiled.

"Way to go, man!" Tucker exclaimed. He walked up to Danny and raised his hand. "Give me five!" Danny also raised his hand, but blasted him backwards into a large, muscular ghost who grabbed him.

"Very good, drone." Freakshow complimented. "Now, bring me my staff." He started motioning Danny over to him and made kissing noises as if he were a dog. "Come on, bring it!"

Danny had a hard time with the decision as he stared at the crystal ball and us. He looked at Sam, and then me. "Fight it, Danny." Sam said, before I could speak. "He's not holding the crystal ball anymore. You are." Freakshow grabbed her shoulders and tossed her away.

"Silence!" Freakshow turned to Danny again. "Obey me, ghost. Give me my staff. Come on."

"I saw you up on that highwire." Sam mentioned to him. "You were fighting him the whole time and you saved me. Now I'm saving you. Fight him now, Danny!"

"You're not just a ghost!" I said. "Fight him!"

Danny started straining and beads of sweat fell down his face as he struggled to think. "Quiet!" He shouted. "All of you. I need to think..."

"Stop them!" Freakshow ordered.

"I feel like I've been in the way of you and Sam this entire time." I finally admitted and Sam's eyes widened at me. "I felt like there's no room for me for you, but it's the crystal ball or your friends, Danny." I watched as a couple of ghosts walked towards me and I started backing up to the edge of the caboose. "Your choice." My foot started to slip off the caboose and I fell off.

~~~

*THIRD person POV*

"I didn't mean that to be so literal!" (Y/n) screamed in fear, and tried to hold on to something but couldn't.

She kept screaming as she heard Sam and Tucker scream, "(Y/n)!? NO."

"(Y/n)?" Danny started to break free from the hypnosis. "(Y/n)!" He leaped off the caboose with the scepter in both hands. He let it go as he reached out to (Y/n). She was close to reaching the waters and continued to scream until Danny caught her. The crystal ball on the scepter broke and Danny's eyes changed back to green. He looked down at (Y/n) after the spell broke and she looks up at him.

"Danny?" She asked, "Are you okay?"

"I think so." He answered. Her hands were wrapped around him as he carried her back. "It's all a blur. I did some bad stuff, didn't I?"

"Nothing you can't fix..." (Y/n) sighed in relief. Danny carried (Y/n) back up to the trains and he let her down on her feet.

"Good." Tucker said, with a smile. Sam was standing idly by, but she was kind of quiet. "Now maybe you two can convince Tiny here to let go of me?"

The muscular ghost's red eyes turned back to normal along with the other ghosts beside them. "What?" The female ghost said, looking around. "Where are we?"

The dwarf ghost was uncertain, but he still smiled. "Are we free? Finally free?"

"Only one way to find out!" Danny said, and they looked at Freakshow all together. Freakshow looked terrified, and started to escape, but all of the ghosts including Danny grabbed every part of his body angrily. They turned invisible and dragged him through the freight car. Tucker, Sam, and (Y/n) looked over to see where they disappeared and was left alone.

~~~

*Danny's POV*

We all waited until Freakshow opened up his eyes. I was smiling with satisfaction as he was shuddering in fear. "Okay." He started to apologize. "When I called you, uh..."Minions"? It was really a-ah...term of endearment." Freakshow sheepishly smiled up at us, but we just let him keep talking. We were waiting really to see how long it would take for us to crack. "Like, "I love my minions"."

"You wanted a big haul?" I announced, clenching my hands into fists. "Try this on for size." I raised my hand and it started glowing green. I shot the ghost ray at the pile of boxes and bags of money and everything collapsed on Freakshow.

"Oh, that's quite smarted." Freakshow yelped in pain.

The train rolled to a stop where all of the police cars were parked. I peeked outside the window to see my parents, (Y/n)'s, and Sam's standing nearby. "So, what do you say we stick around and explain to the cops we were controlled by an evil Ringmaster?" I asked as a thought. Every ghost looked at me strange and disappeared before my eyes. I frowned and said to myself, "Y'know, I had a feeling that would be their answer."

I ended up doing the same thing and turned myself invisible.

Once I changed back to normal without being spotted, I met up with my friends and our parents. "Nice work, kids!" (Y/n)'s mom said.

"You caught that weirdo, goth punk, thief red-handed." Dad said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

The four of us smiled proudly at each other. "I'm just so happy you're all safe!" Sam's mom commented.

"More than safe, they're heroes!" her dad said.

"We're so proud of you..." My mom added.

Unfortunately, even after all that, we were still placed under house arrest. I guess because (Y/n) was trying so hard to cover my tracks, she ended up being caught anyways. Sam and (Y/n) sat across from us and we each had books in our hands. "BUT YOU'RE ALL STILL GROUNDED." they snapped at all of us. They stood near us and folded their arms across their chests, glaring at us.

That was when Sam's grandmother wheeled up to us on a small moped. "Grounded, schmounded." she said. "This is cruel and unusual punishment!"

(Y/n) was looking at Sam in surprise as she wore the pink flowery dress as punishment. Those two haven't spoken to each other since the ghost fight on the train. "I know..." Sam sighed. "But it was the only way I could convince them to lift the restraining order on Danny."

"At least Freakshow's in custody and the stolen goods were returned." Danny agreed.

"Yeah..." Tucker said, as he pouted at the pages of the book he held.

"So, why do I have a feeling we're forgetting something?" (Y/n) suddenly asked, and the four of us shrugged, going back to our textbooks.