Chapter 4

As soon as everyone heard what McGonagall said, they went completely crazy- as they should. Some were dejected, some were confused, people who were dating were concerned but everyone was sure as hell infuriated.

Students were screaming "This is so unfair!", "They cannot do this!", "No way!", "That's utterly ridiculous!", "That's rubbish!" Many insults were thrown by the students at the teachers and ministry to show their disagreement, disappointment and frustration.

After being quiet and letting the students proceed, McGonagall raised her finger to tell everyone to quiet down. When no one did, her loud voice boomed across the Great Hall, "SILENCE", and everyone slowly took their seats and stopped their yelling.

"Students, I know you are not happy about this, none of us is either, and I am sure your parents are not going to be as well. But please, you have to understand, I have no say in this." She said sorrowfully after she cleared her throat and the students understood even her hands were tied up.

"I understand that some of you are in relationships, yes?"

Ivy could see a few couples nodding including Ophelia and Imran, Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom, Theo Nott and Daphne Greengrass.

She felt awful for the couples as they looked at each other concerned and tightened their grips on each other's hands.

She looked back at Headmaster who continued to speak, "The ministry does not wish to separate the couples and so they will not have to give the test. However, you will have to go to the next room. A ministry official will be waiting and will arrange for you together. But, beware, if you are not in a relationship and still proceed to go there, you will not be accepted, as the couples will be tested with Veritaserum. Now, if all the couples could proceed down to the next room in an orderly manner." She ordered Mr Filch to escort them and he did as he was told.

The retreating footsteps of the couples could be heard. Ophelia and Imran smiled at a concerned Ivy and wished Archie good luck. Now, there were even fewer people in the Great Hall and it was completely silent.

Headmaster McGonagall asked the remaining students to stand up and come up when their names were called and the students did as they were told. She slowly started calling out the names of the boys alphabetically. The students who were paired were made to stand separately.

Ivy was still getting used to the situation when she heard McGonagall call out "Archie Crystal". She whipped her head towards the blond boy and gave him a reassuring smile.

He nodded and walked up towards the headmaster. She asked him to pull out his finger which he did. She then pricked his finger with something and put a drop of his blood on a piece of parchment. The parchment revealed a name.

"Pansy Parkinson" McGonagall called out which shocked everyone.

Ivy saw Archie utterly dejected as he walked towards Pansy who looked disgusted. She was happy to see her friends get paired up but were unhappy about the way they got paired up. She gave Archie a sympathetic smile as she knew he loathed Pansy Parkinson and Pansy did not even look at people who were not Slytherin purebloods.

Although Archie was pureblood and had become quite charming over the years, Pansy did not seem too thrilled about getting paired up with the Ravenclaw.

The names continued and soon Ivy heard another familiar name being called out. "Blaise Zabini". She saw him smugly walk up to the headmaster and while doing so winking and smirking at some of the girls and guys. Ivy rolled her eyes at how Blaise had not changed over the years.

McGonagall pricked his finger, put it on another piece of parchment and read the name "Jade Williams". Ivy recognised the girl immediately. The girl she met at the lake sometime back.

Jade was a half-blood and a Ravenclaw chaser. Blaise walked up to Jade who was clearly not elated about her partner but did not seem miserable about him either.

A few more names were called but Ivy's was not. She stood in her spot, patiently waiting for her name to be called out. While she was busy playing with her fingers, she did not notice a certain blonde observing her.

She noticed the couples come back to the Great Hall. Her eyes searched for her friends and she saw them standing with Archie, trying to console him. Ophelia and Imran, however, looked happy. Ivy needed that. A smile in all this gloomy atmosphere.

While she was focused on her friends, she did not hear the name of a certain blonde boy was called. What she did hear however was "Ivy Rose".

She instantly whipped her head to see who she was partnered up with and there he was. His usual smirk wiped off his face and utter surprise on his face. Little did she know he was not the only one who was surprised.