Chapter 22

Ivy woke up in her room. She tied her hair and sat in the comfort and warmth of her silk sheets as she looked at the snow from her window and prepared herself for that day.

Everyone had gone home for Christmas break and today was the day of the Malfoy's Christmas ball.

A couple of minutes of sitting in her bed later, Ivy finally got up and got ready for her day. After brushing her teeth, she went down to her dining room for breakfast.

"Good morning", she wished her family smiling, as she sat down in her chair. Everyone smiled back and continued with their breakfast. Ivy was served with her breakfast by Sunny, whom Ivy thanked.

"Just a reminder, today is the Malfoy Christmas ball," Ivy said as she chewed on her food.

"Yes, we remember, dear. And do not speak while you chew. Remember that at the ball as well, I do not want people to get the wrong impression of our family" Amelia, Ivy's grandmother said as she sipped her tea. Cecelia cleared her throat and Nathaniel gave Amelia a look.

"I want everyone to be open and welcoming. I don't care if you don't like the Malfoys or think you are, in any way, better than them. We are going to be polite to the people who are soon- whether you like it or not- going to be family." Ivy said in a stern tone as she too sipped her tea.

Luke gave his sister a proud look for- finally- not being a polite little girl who follows the rules and being the boss that makes the rules. Everyone nodded their heads in agreement. Everyone except Amelia.

The rest of their breakfast was silent.

--

Ivy was in her room, reading a book when she heard a knock on her door. Ivy looked up to see her mother coming in. Cecelia sat on the edge of Ivy's bed.

"Do you know what you are wearing, darling?" Cecelia asked looking at Ivy. Ivy told her how her friends had bought dresses together in Hogsmeade.

"Okay, that's good. Well, I thought, since this is a very special occasion, and you are of age, you could wear my diamonds tonight." Cecelia smiled. Looking at Ivy's furrowed eyebrows, Cecelia instantly said, "you don't have to. I just thought it would be a good time to finally give them to you"

"I am not going to wear something just to spite the Malfoys" Ivy replied with her eyebrows still furrowed and in a disappointed tone. Disappointed in her mother, that she could stoop down to that level.

"Oh, my dear, I- no, no. I wouldn't- they aren't to spite the- anyone. They are not to spite anyone. Narcissa gave me those diamonds. She always wanted a daughter and when she heard I had one, she sent me those. To give to my daughter. She loved those diamonds and I am sure she would be delighted to see you wear them" Cecelia explained.

"I thought you didn't see or write to each other" Ivy questioned, curiously.

Cecelia's face fell. "Lucius did not want Narcissa to talk to me, since, I married a half-blood. She sent those without Lucius knowing. That was the only thing she ever sent me, so, you can only imagine, how much it would mean to her if you wore them" Ivy inhaled and sat next to her mother.

"You were really good friends, weren't you?" Cecelia nodded her head. "Well then, how could I say no to wearing them?" Ivy answered. Cecelia's face immediately lit up and she got up from Ivy's bed and left the room.

A few moments later, Cecelia came back to Ivy's room with a velvet box in her hands. She handed it to Ivy and said, "don't show me them right now. I will see them on the neck of my beautiful daughter, in her stunning dress"

Ivy laughed and took the box from her mother's hands. Ivy thanked her mother, and Cecelia smiled before she left the room.

--

It was time for Ivy to start getting ready for the ball. She freshened up and called Sunny for help with her dress and hair and makeup.

Ivy was wearing a pink coloured long, tulle evening gown with a slit. It was sleeveless and had sparkling beads on the upper half with a V-neckline. She paired it with rose gold stilettoes and Sunny did Ivy's make-up and tied her hair in a perfect updo.

After she was done with everything, Ivy opened the velvet box her mother gave her earlier. She opened it to see a necklace. Diamonds were placed on a gold-plated necklace. It was an exquisite single line diamond necklace. It was not tacky, yet extremely elegant and was definitely worth a king's ransom.

Ivy gently placed it on her neck after taking it all in. After she was done with everything, she looked in the mirror and looked at herself in awe.

"Miss Rose looks stunning. Sunny is stunned at miss Rose." Sunny commented as she too looked at Ivy in wonderment. Ivy blushed hearing Sunny's compliment and blushed even more thinking about what Draco would say. Ivy thanked Sunny and both of them left the room.

She walked to the hallway to see her family waiting for her. As they heard Ivy's heels clicking, her family turned to look at her. They too looked completely awestruck. Ivy gave everyone an awkward smiled.

"My perfect little girl. How is it that you get even more perfect as the days go by?" Nathaniel laughed as he hugged his granddaughter. Ivy giggled as she turned red yet again, thinking about Draco.

"Why do you have to grow up so quickly? You look amazing, my dear. Just like the princess, you are" Elliot said as opened the door. Ivy thanked him and hugged him.

"The diamonds suit you. Be sure to thank Narcissa, yes?" Cecelia reminded Ivy as she tucked a piece of Ivy's hair behind her hair. Ivy nodded and they left for the Malfoy Manor.