Chapter 22: Significance

Kon'nichiwa, everyone!  Here is the next chapter!★ I was like, speed typing I was so excited, haha! ^^; Anyways, I dedicate this chapter to MonkeyDNatsu For telling me my last chapter was "brilliant". That meant a lot!♥ I will updating more, so be looking forward to that! I hope you all enjoy, and I hope this chapter doesn't disappoint you in any way... I hope it leaves you in suspence and wanting to know more; that's what I strive for in all my chapters!☆ Arigato for everything you've complemented in this book! Feedback is very much appreciated, ne!♡

Ry-chan // xRyrirzuar

======================================================================

Lucy felt a throbbing in her sore body as she lay on the cold hard ground on her stomach.  All the air had been knocked from her lungs, and she coughed as she tried to breathe air back into them.  Once the pain started to receed, Lucy looked up with her right eye shut in slight pain.  She was surrounded by two large canyon walls, and when she looked up, only shadows resided there; no openings.  Yet strangely, the cave was lit up just enough where she was able to make out her surroundings; which wasn't much.

She knew she was alone; and she felt a chill run down her spine as she saw how barren and empty it was around her.  Well what do you expect?  She scolded herself.  It's a freakin' cave!  Slowly, she stood, rubbing her stomach to ease the pain.  Looking to her right and left, all that was there was darkness, but she knew they extended on like hallways to who knows where.  Deciding to take the one in front of her, she set off with a hand on the cave wall for guidance.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Erza stood slowly, and slightly wobbled from hurting her ankle.  "Looks like I'm by myself."  She told herself, looking around.  She spotted the hall-like corridor that headed down into a shaft of darkness.  "Looks like that's the only way out of here, too."  Squinting her eyes to see better, she started to walk on.

_______________________________________________________________________________

"Oh, man."  Gray whined, looking up.  "This isn't good."  He stood, reaching a hand out to help up Wendy.

"Thanks."  Wendy replied, taking it gratefully.  She reached for Carla--who was coming to--and wrapped her in her arms, seeking reasurrance.  "Where is everyone else?"

"Looks like we all got split up,"  Gray replied, putting his hands in his pockets.  He turned his attention towards the passage in front of them.  "We've got no choice but to move forward in there."  He replied, pointing.

Wendy nodded, but incertainty was on her face.  "It's strange how we can see, yet there is no light appearing anywhere."

"Result of magic, I guess."  Gray replied, looking down at her.  "Let's go, Wendy."

Wendy nodded, determination on her face.  "Right!  Let's find the others!"

_______________________________________________________________________________

"Virel, that bastard..."  Natsu grumbled, rubbing his head as he sat on his butt.  Happy flew around him.

"I didn't see any way out above us, Natsu."  He mewed, nervous.

Natsu scowled, frustrated.  "Looks like we might have to make a way out-"

"Wait, Natsu!  Look!"  Happy exclaimed, pointing ahead.

"Looks like a way out."  Natsu muttered, standing then walking in the direction of the corridor.

"Be careful, Natsu."  Happy replied, flying near his head.

"Yeah yeah..."  He muttured, lighting his hand on fire for more visibility.  "We hafta' find the others, then go kick Virel's-"

"Look out Natsu!"  Happy exclaimed.

Something swooped down from the jagged ceiling, slamming right into Natsu and Happy.

They disappeared.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Lucy walked on, getting more scared as she continued on and on throughout the cave hallway.  Her eyes had adjusted to the darkness already, and she was able to walk faster than she had at the beginning of her treck.

She gasped, seeing a light up ahead.

Walking faster, she was swallowed up in light, blinking a few times to let her eyes adjust to the sudden change in accessibility.  When everything cleared, she had a sharp intake of breath.

Nothing much was different; it was just a super large room that extended up and up, bars escaping out of the earth and sunset light rays glowing through the hole.  Looking around, she saw other corridor openings, and she guessed that's where everyone else was at.  I should wait for everyone,  Lucy thought, her stance relaxing.  However, she knew her memories didn't have much time, so she forced herself to continue on across the cave area, spotting a single corridor ahead.  She was ensnared in darkness again, and once again her eyes had to adjust.

Not far ahead, there were stairs, and she skipped up them, taking two at a time as she raced to get to the top.

"Lucy!"  Lucy looked up, and saw Happy flying straight for her, tears in his eyes.  

"Happy!"  She exclaimed, holding him as he slammed into her chest, crying.  "What is it?  What's wrong?  Where is Natsu and the others?"

"Virel's got him, Lucy!"  Happy cried, clutching her clothes tightly.  "He's torchering Natsu!"

Lucy froze, and gasped in horror.  "N-No way!  Why would-"

It clicked.

Natsu was the other person Virel needed.