02

Nepenthe (n: Nuh-Pen-Thee) - Something that can make you forget grief or suffering

Aurelia Moreno 

As other men entered the room, I walked into the office and sat down next to my father.

My father spoke up as everyone was inside and the door was finally closed "As you are all aware, tomorrow will be one of our most important missions. We'll attempt to eliminate Ivanov, also known as Nikolai. As you are all knowing, he is the cousin of the Russian mafia boss." "Dad," he continued "However, we require assistance. So I requested the Italians, who will be present tomorrow."

Not the Italians. I groaned quietly to myself. They annoy me. Luciano was a real jerk the first time I met him.

Throwback

"Leonardo" Lorenzo, the Italian Mafia Leader nodded.

Dad returned the nod and said, "Lorenzo."

Then we all sat down and started talking about business. I found this part of the mafia business to really be tiresome, so I tried to pass the time by looking around the room until I was interrupted by a boy who stood in my way.

"Can you tell me what you're looking at?" "You have nothing to look at around here," he said rudely. He made sure that I was just focused on the meeting for the rest of the meeting.

Dad and his father said their goodbyes to us later that day, when we were finished. "Goodbye, and I hope you don't look around so rudely in other private areas in the future," he replies angrily.

"Why do you even care in the slightest?" I respond with a sassy question.

"Why wouldn't I, it was my home you looked around in," he shrugged.

We argued for a while longer until we were interrupted by our Dads. "Aurelia say bye to Lorenzo" Dad said sharply. "Goodbye," I said with a smile.

He grinned back and said, "Bye, have a wonderful evening Aurelia."

Then we drove back to our house.

Throwback's end

I really hate him.

Though Sofia, Lorenzo's only daughter and his second child, was someone I liked. When we were kids, we even became really good friends and played a lot together. But Luciano is someone I've never really met before. I only saw him this one time. He was apparently enrolled in some sort of private school or whatever. After that incident, I continued to meet up with Sofia.

Victoria, his mother, was also a sweetheart. When I came over, she would always bake us cookies and let us watch as many movies as we wanted as long as it wasn't past bedtime. Victoria would also let us go to the beach, which was only a few minutes away from their home. I adored their home; it reminded me of my childhood, as Mom and Victoria were great friends, therefore we spent most summers there.

"So, guys, I'd like to meet up with you at 6 a.m. tomorrow. Here. Then we'll go into the details." The gathering was called to an end by Dad. All of the men left the office and went somewhere else. I stayed behind since I knew my father wanted to speak with me in private.

"I want you to be on your best behavior tomorrow, Aurelia," Dad said.

"But-" I tried to interject.

"No, no, no. This is a business related mission. With the Italians, we can't make a mistake. They've become far more powerful than you understand." He put an end to the conversation. Dad stood up and headed to the door, picking up some of the folders, lying on his desk. He fixed his gaze on me as I sat motionless on my chair. He motioned to the door and said, "You can go now, Aurelia."

I stood up and went to my room. I swear to God, if Luciano can't maintain a pleasant behavoir, neither can I.

It's as simple as that.

I enter my room, which is ideally suited to my needs. I have a sofa next to my bookcases, which include some of my favorite books. Then there's my bed, as well as my vanity and mirror. I also have a walk-in closet and an ensuite bathroom, which I appreciate because I have so many clothing.

I went into my closet and first chose a good clothing for tomorrow, or rather, several good outfits. We have an all black, with black dressing pants, a black sexy top and black high heels. A dark red velvet dress with one slit to show off my calf and a v-neck, along with dark green high heels.A mini black dress with black high heels and a black shoulder bag. Or black mom jeans, a black tight fitting shirt and some black boots.

"Hey, Mom, do you need any assistance?" I inquire, smiling at her.

"Thank you, honey," I say. "Could you please bring the plates and dial your Dad's number?" she asked.

"Of course," I say and I smiled as I walked to my father's office, only to come to a halt at the door "Oh, and one more thing before I forget. What's for dinner tonight?" I wonder.

"Well, you'll find out soon enough. Don't you agree?" She laughed and motioned for me to fetch my father down so that we could finally eat.

I dash up the stairs and hear him on the phone with someone. Normally, I would never do something like that, but who hasn't secretly listened in on their parents' phone calls as a child? I pressed my ear on the door to hear what they were saying. I couldn't understand anything at first, but then I realized my Father was talking to someone I didn't quiet know.

"Yea, okay, we can do that," my Father said, then paused for a moment before continuing, "Yea, our businesses will merge."

Well, I don't think I was expected to hear that. He would never ever merge his business with someone, it's to important to him. "Dad Dinner is ready," I said as I knocked on the door. I thought I overheard him say something.

He answered, "Yes Aurelia, I'll be down in a few minutes," and I nodded and walked downstairs.What was he referring to?

What was he referring to?

This chapter is edited