Chapter 6

"I'll drive you home."

I check my phone. Stanley would be home with his wife now. This isn't an emergency so I shouldn't call him.

"I can take the subway."

He scoffs as if taking the subway was a completely insane thing to do. Maybe for him it is, he is a billionaire after all.

"I need my fiancé to actually survive the ride home, now quit arguing, I'll take you."

I roll my eyes and follow him into the elevator. He presses the button for the underground garage. We stand there in silence as the elevator descends.

He grabs his phone out of his back pocket and starts texting, or emailing? I guess he's doing anything to escape this awkwardness.

Grayson puts his phone away back in his pocket once the elevator doors open.

I follow his lead until we stop in front of a sleek black car.

He opens the door for me "nice car." I say getting in the leather seat.

He smirks "just got her, isn't even out yet, it's the Audi R8 spyder."

As if those words mean anything to me. I know nothing about cars. It is pretty though.

I roll my eyes as he walks around the car and gets in.

We drive in silence, I focus on the sound of the car humming while driving through the streets.

We only talk when he asks for directions to my apartment which I'm grateful for as this whole situation is quite an ordeal.

We finally pull up to the curb. He leans over me to check out the building. The clear look of disgust has reappeared.

"Ok, well thanks for the ride." I open the door hoping for a quick escape.

No such luck. I heard his door open and close, then his footsteps following me up the concrete steps. The man has long legs, there's no way I'd outrun him, plus I'm really lazy so running was never in my list of options anyway.

I didn't say anything and continued up the multiple floors of steps until finally I got to my apartment of the fourth floor.

I shoved my key into the rusty lock and jangled it a little bit until I could shove the door open.

I turned around to face my boss. "Well, thank you for walking me up. I'll-uh-see you tomorrow."

He smirked "you're not going to invite me in?"

I cleared my throat. "Um, sure." I pushed the door aside and he walked into my apartment or shoebox, there's not much difference.

I'd expected him to hide the disdain on his face out of politeness, clearly I'd held him to, to high of standards.

"You live here? With the pay check you have I'm sure you can afford a much nicer place than this."

"You do know how much an apartment is in the state of New York right? I'm lucky I even got this place."

The whole apartment was pretty much just one room, except for the bathroom which had its own little space. My bed was the living room. I had a sink, oven and a little kitchen space which sat opposite my bed. I'm pretty sure it's a fire hazard.

But when I was fortunate enough to get the place I didn't ask any questions. I made it homey and comforting. It's all I could do. I've grown to quite like the place so I wasn't going to let Grayson say anything nasty about it.

I watched him inspecting every inch of the place. "Are you done?" I said impatiently.

He looked back at me. "You'll be moving into my place tomorrow."

I scoffed "I don't have time to pack."

"We're going to do it now, then tomorrow I'll swing by in the morning and we'll move your things in."

"I don't need to leave this place right away. I know you don't like it, but I actually quite enjoy my little space here."

"You're right. I don't like it. Now start packing your clothes in your suitcase. I'm going to go grab some boxes." He was out the door within a minute.

I sighed. Too tired to argue with him anymore I crouched down and yanked my suitcase out from under the bed and opened it up.

I'm going to miss my little place.