Chapter 24

Spending the next few days at home recuperating did a lot. I feel much better. I spent the entire few days sitting on the couch binging tv shows and forcing Grayson to order me pizza. Mason had came over later on one of the days and he looked disgusted at the state I was in. I flipped him off and he retaliated by stealing a slice of my pizza, so what did I do? I made Grayson go buy me another one.

I don't know what it is but a simple margarita pizza just tastes like absolute heaven. If heaven were a dish it would be that goddamned pizza. Ugh! I want more of it right now. I don't even care who judges me. I'd eat it for breakfast.

But today has been weird. Since I woke up Grayson has been off. He's been avoiding me and whenever I try to say something to him he's off saying he has to deal with something at the office. So I've been hiding out in my room.

I hear his footsteps head towards the elevator downstairs, then there's the ding and I know he's gone for the fifth time today.

I sigh rolling over and staring out the window upon the large city.

My phone buzzes which catches my attention. There's a text message.

'Hey! This is Marie, Mr Black gave me your number the day we met. I just moved and I don't have many friends so I was wondering if you'd like to go out for lunch?'

I smile. Maybe one good thing would come out of this arrangement, a true friend. Moving around from school to school, from foster home to foster home. Didn't allow for any long lasting connections to be made.

I used to make friends wherever I would move. It was great being able to escape the nasty foster homes and be with people my age who I'd formed great connections with but in the end I was always moved. The friendships never lasted, even if I did try to keep contact.

I learned to be independent and I'd fend for myself. I couldn't trust anybody, especially the men. This nasty old men who'd take in kids so they could pay for more cocaine or weed.

You were always worse off it you were a girl and ended up in a place like that. They'd get drunk or high and touch you, say the most nauseating things while they... it's disgusting behaviour and I wish girls especially are offered more safety when being placed into homes.

I wipe the stray tear off my cheek and look back down at my phone.

'I would love to grab lunch. Meet me at Urban back yard in an hour :)'

I send the message, she immediately replies with a thumbs up. I feel myself smiling. My first friend that I know I won't have to leave! I find this way more exciting than when I went on my first date.

Don't even get me started, it was a total disaster.

I roll off my bed and go to my bathroom taking another much needed shower. I spend much longer in there thinking and dwelling over everything. I need to get out of this apartment and let everything go, just live my life and enjoy a new friendship.

Sighing I turn the faucet off and step out. The cold air causes goosebumps on my skin and I wrap one of the many fluffy white towels around my body.

I made my way into my closet staring at all my clothes. What do I wear?

Is it weird that I want to impress Marie that badly? The first time we met I was in my pjs. So that's a little embarrassing. Let's just say today I am ready to put in the extra mile.

It's a little chilly so I put on a baggy white knit sweater dress with white knee high boots, a beige Prada purse and sheer black pantyhose. I check myself out in a mirror after I apply some makeup and do my hair. Dam I look good. My insecurities ain't getting in my way today!

Did I strut my stuff a couple times in front of the mirror before leaving? Maybe.... It was worth being five minutes late.

Marie already found us a table and sat there completely in a trance staring at her phone. I approach the table and take a seat, she looks up surprised but an immediate smile is replaced when she sees it's me.

I reach down giving her a quick hug and move to the seat opposite her. "Thanks for coming" her bright smile lights up the establishment.

"Of course, I was so excited when you texted. I don't exactly have any friends so this is an opportunity I'm not going to mess up."

"Girl same. I have no friends here. Closest thing I have to a friend is my sister. She's great and I love her dearly but we're sisters, prone to arguing." I laugh and a waiter comes over to take our order.

He leaves and we get to talking. Chatting about whatever comes to mind. Of course Grayson and I's relationship comes up. I mention that we're having a bit of a rough patch but she doesn't push it, noticing that I wasn't exactly comfortable.

----------

After lunch we decided to spend the rest of the day together considering that we both have no social lives, we're always available, plus we really hit it off. So we went shopping, for a walk around the park, looking at all the beautiful flowers and petting all the dogs that passed us.

Now it's 7pm, later than I'd anticipated but I'd enjoyed my day and that was all that really matters. The elevator doors opened to reveal the penthouse, my current home.

I notice Grayson throwing back the rest of his scotch. When he sees me his expression darkens and he glares. My high from having a fun day has officially left the building, along with my will to live.

Abruptly he stands and storms my way. "I'm going out." He clenches his fists, I see his knuckles turning white and I know somethings up. "Don't wait up, I won't be back until late."

He doesn't even give me time to reply, he just storms past me and into the elevator. So many questions are racing through my mine. "Where is he going? Why is he so mad? Is he meeting a girl? Did I do something to upset him?

After popping some popcorn to snack on I toss myself onto the couch and turn on the tv. I don't care what I'm watching, which by the looks of it is some childish cartoon. I just need some mind numbing tv to take the stress away, so this'll do.

Since when have I become so affected by him? I never used to care what he thought or if he was mad. I throw my head back letting out a loud groan. Life is way to complicated.