Chapter 3 Taking an Unwelcoming Turn

Jordan sat back in her seat, turning the engine to her car off as she stared out the passenger window confused. Still the house looked the same as she remembered, the crumbled paint, no one bothering to get it repainted.

The grass is long, their parents not wanting to pay anyone to cut it. The black marks against the concrete of the driveway from the incident in the past, dad was drunk that day.

Still the amateur art her siblings made when they were a little younger, visible on the white garage surface. She smiled, remembering she watched them draw it that day and she was reprimanded by her parents, but she hated to see her siblings cry and the fastest way would be by telling them no. Of course, now, Marcus doesn't cry, he's older. Sometimes Myra cries but Jordan had a suspicion that it was only fake and to get what she wanted.

The thought made her giggle.

After her siblings came back home yesterday, she called and called her parents, both, yet neither answered the phone. All going straight to voicemail, furthermore no car was in the parking space.

Making up her mind, she pulled her keys out, walking up to the house. The floor was a little uneven, unleveled and they spoke to the estate agent about it, but they never got back to them. Surprisingly she became an estate agent when she hated their guts for selling imperfect houses.

Opening the door, never getting rid of her house key, thankfully, she walked inside.

Still, you could hear the small creaks the wood made when stepped on here and there. It used to annoy her in high school when all she wanted to do was study. Setting the keys down, she knew it wouldn't be necessary to call out for her parents, so she made her way through the kitchen and opened the fridge. There weren't many things there besides jelly, bread and a bowl of leftover cereal she was sure Myra left.

She only knew that because it was cheerios, her favorite cereal. She normally left it since she didn't have time to eat it all before, she was dragged away to school. Apparently, them being soggy later didn't bother her.

She walked throughout the house, looking for a note or something from her parents that explained their lack of contact and absence, but she found nothing and decided to leave. Unfortunately, now she had to go grocery shopping to feed the 4 added mouths in her house. Jonathan counted as two.

-

Closing the door to her car, she went around after popping the trunk. She stuffed the keys into her pocket, huffing as she saw all the bags. Maybe I should have waited till after Jonathan was home, she thought.

They were still at school, and she had to carry them all into the house.

"Hey! Need help?" She heard and turned around, seeing Diante in a muscle shirt. His arms and biceps visible, it was hard not to stare even more as he grabbed multiple bags, lifting them out of the trunk as if it weighed nothing. She wondered how much he pressed. Furthermore, how long and why wasn't he a boxer or fighter, something of the sort. Or was he?

"Do you fight? Or a box? Or are you just one of those meat head men who hangs out in the gym for fun?" She questioned, walking after him into her house and he glanced at her from over his shoulder with a chuckle and shaking his head.

"Is this how you show kindness to your neighbors?" He joked, setting the bags down and she shrugged, it was how she spoke to anyone.

"I guess it's my charm" She smiled charismatically, but with no doubt sarcasm in her voice.

Without her asking, he began to take things out of the bag, sitting them on the counter and table, while she put them up. He seemed like he carried groceries all his life. Maybe he did as a child. The way he grouped the cans and beverages. Even more, he went back out to grab the rest as she heard her trunk being closed.