Chapter 32 Hope is All

Suddenly feeling the grip of her arm, Jordan jolted.

"Hey, it's just me" She heard, and her eyes fluttered, rubbing them afterwards and her vision came clear.

Marcos.

She groaned and she looked around, realizing she was still in the chair, sitting next to Kyle. She sighed, staring down at him and felt Marcos rubbing her back.

"He'll wake up," he said. It didn't sound as if he were only saying it to encourage her, but because he knew he would.

"How do you know?" She asked and she grabbed his hand, laying it on her neck and he chuckled, lightly massaging her. Her neck ached from sleeping like that.

"He'll be a fool not to" She felt his shrugging. "You're his mate. If he's doing this to protect you, he's going about it all wrong. Protecting is not giving up, that just makes everything worse. With him here, he could protect you but when he's gone, when we're not around, who do you have?"

She turned around, his hand slipping from her neck, and he wanted it back on her skin, though he knew she had not returned any affection that way for him. He knew his boundaries even if he hated them. Instead of taking advantage of Kyle's mental absence, using the time to get closer to Jordan, make her see how he is always there for her, how he never left her, would leave her, how he loved her like no one else, He encouraged her relationship with Kyle. He even knew no one would make her happier and even if it soured his pride, he knew it was true.

"I don't need protection" She asserted defensively, and he frowned at her tone.

"If he thought that, he would not be asleep right now. I think you do Jordan, we all do"

"I'm not a frail human" She voiced louder, and he looked away.

He had not meant to offend her, and he heard her heart beginning to race indicating her annoyance, agitation and anger. "I'm sorry" He apologized and turned away.

He grabbed the knob, but didn't turn to face her as he said, "I came up here to inform you of our leave"

Her eyes lifted and she stood up. Still, he hadn't turned to face her. "Leaving? Where and why?"

He lowered his head, not wanting to involve her more, but she was more than involved. Besides, he didn't want to harm her feelings once more.

"There are two Alphas in the city now and they both want Kyle's power, preferably his head. They know we will fight for him. Kyle almost killed Laurent, he knows how strong he is and Diante is sure he won't come empty handed. I'm talking about his pack, or whoever decides to join, not that they have much of a choice. And well... my pack... they've already been fighting Kyle"

Jordan huffed, folding her arms. Cowards they were.

" Two packs for one wolf" She muttered with judgment and shook her head amused by the Alphas.

" Well two packs for three strong Beta wolves and Casey"

"I thought you were a Gamma?" She questioned and he chuckled with a smirk. He had not realized she paid attention to his status.

"I am a Beta wolf by blood. Alpha only made me Gamma to keep me in place just in case my brother decided to flip on him. I was assured that it wouldn't happen. Made me closer to the Alpha, closer to..." His head lowered.

He didn't like the idea of being lowered to what he was when he was appointed Gamma. Furthermore, he hated that the Alpha purposefully dismissed the real Gamma wolf. He hadn't understood in the beginning, he rather be no wolf than lowered to a status. However, he didn't have much choice in the matter.