Chapter 7 Caught

The rhythm of a loud thump, Kyle heard.

Thump thump, thump thump, thump thump

Two beats it repeated, louder against his ears.

He realized it was the sound of his heart. Had he heard many of them, he knew how it sounded. Even with his eyes closed, he could see the orange, red against his eyelids. Signs of light.

His eyes were heavy under them though. He wanted them to open and as he did, they fluttered. Fluttered softly until one let up, and then the other and both of his eyes shot open, instantly the pain from his head hitting him hard.

He winced as he saw Diante standing at the foot of his bed, and a girl next to him. His eyes closed, laying his head back as he tried to recall everything that happened. First, how was he there? Did he go to Jordan's house? Did he see his childhood best friend? Was it a dream?

It hit him like a ton of bricks, the last events flying through as if a train cart carried each image, traveling fast through his head. Each image passes by.

"We need to talk" he heard Diante say. "About Jordan "He finished, and Kyle's heart skipped a beat as he closed his eyes tightly.

Jordan...

-

Jordan sighed, brushing her hair down softly. She wondered so many things. When she woke up, she almost thought she was dreaming until she saw the glassless frame on her drawer. She knew it was real. She saw Kyle. He came back. Her best friend came back. The best thing she hoped for, the only thing she wanted.

She had him. But she wasn't happy.

Why didn't he want to see her? Why did he push her away? Why didn't he tell her how much he missed her? Why couldn't they cry together and tell each other everything they've missed in the last 6 years of their lives? Did he still love her? What did she do?

She didn't understand any of it, she couldn't find answers, and she wouldn't be able to get them from him. However, she knew she wasn't going to leave him alone because he wanted to connect. She knew that. He hugged her because he wanted to. He didn't cry because it was an act. It was because deep inside he missed her like she missed him. Something made him push her away and she was going to figure out what it was. Or maybe who.

The sudden ring of the doorbell made her brush drop from her hands after it was constantly brushed down subconsciously through her hair as she was trapped in her thoughts.

She let a small sigh leave her lips before walking downstairs. The door was opened, and two women stood with bright smiles and polite waves. One woman she expected, Diane. The other she didn't know.

She held her hand out, smiling at Jordan showing off her pretty teeth.

"Hi. I'm Angela, the inspector" She kindly shook Jordan's hand, releasing it afterwards.

"Jordan. Dawson" she said, hesitant on her last name, sure that she already knew it. She stepped to the side and allowed them in.

Jordan didn't bother giving the tour, Diane and Angela were too wrapped into the conversations about small things in the house to notice. Besides, Diane could show her around. Jordan was guilty that her mind was not on the potential idea of her siblings staying with her but selfishly on Kyle. She couldn't not think about him. He was so different.

She always knew he was going to be tall; he was as a child. His long legs she always kicked just for the fun of it, and he would throw her over his shoulder and swing her around, making her giggle and laugh.

How she would smack his head every time he got his haircut, it was already short, she wondered why it mattered to cut it more.

He used to chase her down. Depending on where they were, he created different revenge. At home, he would throw her onto his bed. Then later they would cuddle and watch a movie together. Always her movies he watched, even if he didn't like them, which he ended up liking by the end of it.