Code Blue (Hessa) - part 1

Tessa

A new day in beautiful New York. A day I had no idea that it would change my life to 360 degrees... A day I will never forget.

*

I just arrived at work and I walk in the changing room. I put my bag in my closet and I quickly change in my nurse uniform. As I'm done, I go to my colleague, Erica, to be updated about the patients that are here. After she updates me about them, I start to check every patient. First, I check a patient who was shot. Hardin Scott, detective. As Erica told me, he was admitted yesterday morning, he was shoot at work and as he was a civil, he wasn't wearing a bulletproof vest, so he got shoot very close to his heart. He was in surgery yesterday and now I have to keep my eyes on him. As I enter in his room, I see that the heart-rate is slow. I quickly walk to him and I check everything. Fuck. There must be something wrong. The heart monitor starts to ring and I quickly push the button for code blue. I check his pulse with my hand and I start the compression.

"You can't die on my watch, detective!"

In less than a minute, the doctors are here. While another nurse puts the oxygen mask on his face, I continue with the compressions.

"I take it from here, Tessa!" The doctor takes my place. "Prepare 1 ml of EPI!"

I don't stay and I do what the doctor said.

"Bring the defibrillator!"

A nurse comes in with the defibrillator and I give him the EPI. He takes it from me, then he continues the compressions.

"Let's move fast, people. We can't lose him. Prepare the electric pads!"

I help the other nurses to prepare the defibrillator. Doctor Pierce stops the compression and he take off the sheet from our patient's chest. I give him the electric pads and he sticks them on the patient's chest.

"Charge with 150 Joules! Move back! Clear! Charge!" We move back and I look on the heart monitor.

"Doctor, we have a rhythm."

"Check the pulse, Young!" I go to the patient and I check his pulse.

"I have a pulse and the monitors are looking good." I say and they start to pack all the things for code blue.

"Young, keep an eye on him tonight. If nothing bad will happen, he will be fine."

"I understand, doctor."

"If anything is wrong, doctor Grant is here. But also call me."

"I understand."

*

The night went well. I had to emergencies and I was keeping an eye on Mr. Scott. Everything was good with him, so he will be fine. Before my shift end, I decided to check him again, just to be sure that everything is ok. I enter in his room and I see him moving slowly. Oh, everything is more than good. It looks like Mr. Scott is feeling good.

"Good morning, Mr. Scott. I'm nurse Young and I want you to not force yourself. You've been shoot and you had a complicated surgery. We almost lost you last night, but everything seems to be fine now. Do you need some water?" He groans a yes and I go to the table, I pour some water in a glass and I put a straw in it. I walk back to him and I help him to drink some water.

"Thank you." He says slowly.

"You're welcome. If you need anything, you can push this button." I show him the button next to his hand. "My shift is done, but my colleague will take care of you today." I smile. We will announce your family that you are awake and if Dr. Pierce says you can be visited, then we will tell them to come here." He nods and I look again on the screens and everything is fine. "Ok, now, excuse me, but it's time for me to leave. I will be here tomorrow morning, ok? And don't worry, everything will be fine." I smile and I leave.