Adoption (Hessa) - Part 3

Tessa

A few years later...

Tessa: "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, dear Emma! Happy birthday to you!" I sing along with her father and our guests, keeping the cake in the front of her. "Blew off the candle, baby."

Hardin: "And don't forget to make a wish."

Emma: "A wish?!" She looks surprised at him and Hardin nods.

Hardin: "A wish. Something you want from all your heart."

Emma: "I want a baby sister." She whispers as she blows off the candles and I smile hearing her. The people around us clap their hands and she smiles. "I'm four, mommy!"

Tessa: "Yes, you are a big girl, love." I kiss her head and I move to put the cake on the table, so Trish can cut the pieces.

Trish: "You did a really great job in these four years, darling."

Tessa: "Thank you." I look at Hardin, who is throwing Emma in the air.

Trish: "He's an amazing father. He never thought that he will be a good father. But look at him!"

Tessa: "He really is." I smile.

Emma: "Grandma, help me to open my presents!" She comes running to me and Trish. "Pleaseeee!" She makes puppy eyes and no one can resist to this sweet face. So, Trish goes with her.

"How are you feeling, baby?"

"I'm good." I smile as he touches my lower abdomen. "Don't do this with all these people around us."

"Why not? I'm just touching my wife. And our baby."

"Shhh... We decided to not tell them yet."

"I want to say out loud that you are pregnant."

"We can't say it loud, yet. You know it's a high-risk pregnancy."

"I know. And I hope our girl won't say anything."

"She won't. She's a good girl." I kiss his cheek.

A few hours later...

"Mummy!" She comes running to me and she has tears on her cheeks.

"What happened baby? Why are you crying?" I knee in front of her and I drag her in my arms and she cries. "Emma, baby... Tell mummy why are you crying..."

"A... Addie..." She sobs. "She... She said that... That you won't love me... When... When..." She sighs and I wipe her tears with my thumbs. Hardin sees us and he comes to us.

Hardin: "Emma, what happened? Why do you cry?" He knees next to me and he touches Emma's arm.

Emma: "Addie... She said... You love baby more." She cries louder and I gently rub her back. They are kids, they don't know what they are saying. "You... never love me more because I'm adopted."

Tessa: "Oh my God, baby... It's not true. We love you. And we will still love you when the baby will be here." I hug her and, in this moment, my heart is breaking for my little girl. Even if she's adopted, we love her as it's ours and she will never be loves less than our baby. "What Addie said isn't true. The baby is coming, but we will still love you as much as we will love the baby, do you understand me?"

Hardin: "Come to daddy, love." She moves from my arms to Hardin and she let her head on his shoulder. "Addie doesn't know anything about being our adopted baby. She doesn't know how lucky you were when we adopted you. You are loved in this family and that's the most important thing. Even we are having a baby, who will be blood related to us, that doesn't mean anything. We will still love you. And we will love you more because you will help us with the baby and that's unique, can you understand?" She nods and Hardin kisses her. "Now, wipe your tears and go back to play.