Human

Dan-

My hands were actually shaking, this wasn't like me at all. Phil was being hostile, and rightly so. He still hasn't asked how he got here and I really hope he never does, but I doubt that'll last long.

I keep trying to look up and maintain some speck of dignity, but when I look up at him all I can think is that I could have stopped the bruises and blood he's covered in now and I was too proud to.

Phil hadn't spoken yet, I guess he was as taken aback by my demeanor as I was.

After a much too long silence he asked: "Dan... What happened?"

What does he mean? Does he not remember to scene in the parking lot?

"You-you got beat up."I say, a bit confused.

"No shit. I mean how am I here. Oh, and where is here?"

I hesitate, this is what I was dreading he would ask....

"Well, you were bleeding pretty bad. And... This is my house." I answer, trying desperately to skip over the fact that I carried him, but it's not hard to put together.

"But, I don't remember coming here..." He says, looking down confused.

"I'm pretty sure you were blacked out for a while." I said, bracing myself against the next question.

"Then how'd I get in here?"

"I drove you here. I-I carried you in." I say, trying to make it sound unimportant.

"You carried me here...?" Phil repeated, looking perplexed. "Why?"

"What do you mean why?" I said, incredulous "You were bleeding in a parking lot."

Phil looked at me and got this cocky grin on his face.

"Careful, Dan." He said smiling "Your human is showing.