Don't Bother

Dan-

I continued driving right past my house. I had music blaring and the heat turned all the way up because I couldn't stop shaking, but it wasn't from the cold.

I couldn't treat Phil that way I had been treating him, I couldn't... but if I treated him any different my friends would turn on me. What was I supposed to do? My mind ran different scenarios, exploring every possible thing that could happen. None of the outcomes were very acceptable. My hands started to shake, imagining all these things, and I pulled over. I couldn't bring myself to move for the longest time.

Phil-

Driving home was harder than normal. I mean, I never looked forward to the Lester charades, but today it just seemed unbearable. I pulled into the driveway and glanced at the clock. 3:45. I had to go inside.

When I opened the door, I could hear someone banging around in the kitchen. Probably my father. He had the worst temper.. especially past three. He usually started drinking as soon as he was home.

I sighed and tried to quietly walk to my bedroom. My father stormed out.

“Where have you been, boy?” he said, sounded even more angry than normal.

“I'm early, Dad.” I said, sounding impatient.

“Don't you dare lie to me, Lester. The school called me. You never even showed up.”

I looked up at him, horrified. What could I say? 'Oh you know Dad, I got beaten up so one of the people who beats me up took me home and I took a nap.' Yeah, that would go over great.

“I.. uhh.. didn't.” I said. Brilliant, Phil.

“I know that. Why did you decide not to show up to school today? Sure as hell seemed like you had that intention this morning.” My father yelled, his voice sounded angrier and angrier.

I just stared at the floor for a while, expecting him to yell some more and leave. But he just stood there, his face turning an alarming shade of red.

“Do you plan on answering me?” he screamed at me.

“I-I don't know, Dad.” I managed to mumble after awhile. My father grabbed my shirt and pushed. I crashed into the wall and crumpled to the ground. It took me some time to process what had just happened. My father.. threw me? The words sounded crazy, even as I knew they were true.

I scrambled up and ran for the door, opening it as fast as I could and sprinting for my car. Thankfully, I'd never put down my keys.
As I pulled out, I realized I had no where to go. There was no way I was going back inside. I'd never seen my father like this, I mean he yelled and yelled but he never.. hurt me. I slammed on the gas, no idea where I was going. I heard my phone ding, indicating that I'd gotten a text message. It was from my father. I clicked it open and stared at the words. I couldn't put them together in my head for the longest time.

“Don't bother coming back.”

I drove around, no real direction, until it got dark.

Author's Note:

Dun, dun, dun!!

Yeah, okay. I really should have thought about where I was going with this before I wrote that, but oh well.

So, my plan from now on is I'm going to post whatever music I was listening to at the time that I wrote the chapter... Should I post it at the beginning? But that means I'd have to break my format.... You'll just have to scroll to the bottom if you want to know. Anyway, this chapter was 'Terrible Things' by Mayday Parade and 'Roger Rabbit' by Sleeping With Sirens.