34. The call

"Hello, I am delighted to finally meet you young man. I heard quite a lot about you. My name is Han Daeshim and I'll be your assigned surgeon." A rather small, well built man introduces himself to Jungkook.

As he looks at him, Jungkook can't help but tell himself that this man does absolutely not look his age. If Jungkook didn't know him as Aiko's bestfriend, he would have thought he was barely older than him.

"H-hello." Jungkook answers blushing in embarrassment because he's been staring at the surgeon instead of answering his greeting.

"So you finally accepted to get the surgery, I see." The older man teases.

"Heh, yeah... I still don't know how to repay y-"

"Shhhh. We told you not to worry about it, so don't." Daeshim shushes Jungkook.

"Now let's get to the point, shall we?" He says as he opens a large navy blue folder.

He skips through the various pages carefully as he scans the countless information, looking for the specific medical file he is looking for. "Ah, there. Jeon Jungkook, gastric cancer, stage 1b." He says when he finally found it.

"Well, I am now going to brief you on the proceedings of the surgery. Ready? Or maybe you got some questions..." He trails, waiting for Jungkook to ask whatever question he may have.

"No sir." Is what he is answered with.

"Oh son, don't be so formal with me, call me Daeshim." The surgeon smiles reassuringly at the younger who smiles back, visibly more relaxed than when he entered the room.

"Okay, Daeshim-shi." Jungkook answers softly.

"So, you'll have to be hospitalized a week prior to the surgery in order for us to carry out an perioperative chemotherapy on you to try to make the tumor easier to remove. You will also have to remain hospitalized one to two weeks after the surgery to receive a postoperative adjuvant treatment that will minimize the chances of a cancer recurrence but also to make sure that you heal adequately and that you are fed correctly according to the state of your digestive system. Do you have any questions?"

"N-no." Jungkook gulps, now terrified at the mention of such a detailed procedure.

What if there are some complications during the surgery? What if he ends up dying? What if he ends up not being able to eat anything he wants as in no more ice creams? What if he is not able to see his family ever again? What about Taehyung? He may never have the occasion to beg him for forgiveness- now why the fuck would he do that? But still, he doesn't want to die.

"Hey, hey... Kid, don't panic. Don't you have any relatives? In times like this, you could use some love and reassurance." Doctor Han rubs his shoulder in a comforting manner upon seeing the younger's pale face.

Jungkook suddenly feels a pang in his heart. How could he cut ties with his family like that over a shitty argument? Despite everything they have always been there for him. Now that he knows he may die, he feels horrible for not letting those he loves more than anything stay by his side to share potential happy last memories. He gulps harshly then looks at the older man with teary eyes.

"C-can I call someone?" He asks with a shaky voice.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.