Chapter 3

"What I realise is that peds is the only speciality where I could do it all" Cristina Yang says to me as we escort a teen boy on a gurney into the ER "cardio, general, Ortho

"What I realise is that peds is the only speciality where I could do it all" Cristina Yang says to me as we escort a teen boy on a gurney into the ER "cardio, general, Ortho. It's like the whole body is your canvas. That fact that it's such a small canvas makes it even more challenging. I have no idea if you have someone on your service right now but I would really love to witness your artistry." Ignoring Yang for a moment I ask Hunt "have you got this?" He hums a reply and then I turn to the resident "you gotta like kids" I say and she gives me a funny look before stating "I like kids" I snort and give her a look, I nod my head "ok, I'll see you on rounds." And then I rush off to deal with another patient.

Ever since the announcement about the merger all of the residents have been acting crazy, of course the attending's are nervous too but there is nothing much for us to do except do what we do best. But the residents.... Well I haven't had this many people ask to be out of my service in a very long time.

It's time for rounds and I greet Cristina who has a gaggle of interns behind her "hey Yang, ready for rounds?" I ask cheerily and she spins to the interns rather quickly "continue with your course of treatment. Keep me updated on new developments." She says to them and they all walk away. I fold my arms behind my back as she turns to face me again "you know you don't look ready" I muse and she looks offended "no, I'm ready" she tries to sound convincing "I looked over your patient charts. I notice you have a shockwave lithotripsy scheduled for kidney stones this morning. I was...."

She cuts off as I attach a pink bear to her lab coat "I've never done one of those. I'm looking forward to it" she continues slightly unsure, I smile brightly "ok. Now you are ready" I say not really paying attention to what she is saying and we head to the sick children's floor.

We enter the first room and the patient covers themselves with their blanket "oh" I say turning around "Doctor Yang, have you seen Sage? She's six. Light brown hair, blue eyes. She had a tumour removed from her belly so she has a bandage on her tummy" I ask comically and we heart giggling. I move further into the room and signal for Cristina "hey, check under the bed. Maybe she's there." I suggest and she looks caught off guard while I go and speak to her mum.

"Her labs are better then we expected" i start and then Cristina cuts in "she's not under the bed" she states dully and I pull a comic face "I.... Maybe try the bathroom" I say and Doctor Yang already looks bored but goes anyway. I turn back to the mum "how'd she do last night, she sleep?" I ask and she nods "she did. I didn't" Cristina interrupts us again "bathroom's clear" she says sarcastically and I refrain from snapping at her.

More giggling is heard from the bed so I say "wait... sshhh. I think that there's something coming from your pocket" I move towards the resident and I lean forward slightly "is Sage inside your pocket?" I ask and she looks at me slightly confused before moving over to the bed "no, no she's hiding here" she insists throwing back the blanket revealing a pouty faced young girl "gotta look in your pocket first" she says looking up at the dark haired woman.

"No I don't. I found you already" Cristina says harsher then she should be talking to a six year old "no I just need to check your incision sight" she leans forward but Sage wriggles away "don't touch it" she protests "it hurts." I step in before Cristina can be outright rude to the little six year old girl "i bet that Mr Bear would like to see Sage's scar." I say "wouldn't you Mr Bear?" Hoping Cristina gets my prompt.

She looks like she catches on and turns back to the little girl and in a gruff almost scary voice says "yes, I would." Sage looks confused, Cristina awkward and me concerned. I shake my head and step forward "or I can have a look, I promise I will be super gentle and when I'm done I will get one of the nurses to bring you in that yogurt that you love."

A smile brightens Sage's face and she nods her head, sitting up and letting me examine her. After I straight up and smile "that's healing really nicely, I would like to keep her one more night for observation and she should be ok to leave in the morning." The mother nods and Cristina follows me out.

"Tyler Lee, nine years old, came in with renal colic three days ago that has not resolved. We're going to perform an extracorpreal shockwave therapy today to break up stones in his ureter so they can pass." Cristina repeats like a robot to the little boy lying in the bed in front of us, his mother sitting at his side. I smile down at him before looking at the resident "no, we're not." I say still smiling and she looks down at her chart "yes we are" she says confidently and I repeat "no, we're not." Then I explain more "there is no blood in his urine this morning."

Cristina steps closer to me and quietly she says "just in case, we should do the procedure. Just in case?" I frown and ask her "you want to do a surgical procedure on a nine year old? Even though it's no longer indicated?" My tone suggests not to and thankfully she takes the hint and says "no. Of course now." I smile again and nod my head once firmly "ok."

I turn to the mum and exclaim "so Doctor Yang, wanna tell the good news to Tyler and his mum?" She steps forward and clears her throat "it seems as though your son's stones may have passed on their own" she says with fake enthusiasm. Tyler's mum looks up at us and asks "he doesn't need surgery?" I shake my head keeping my kind smile on my face "no. Looks like he healed himself. Can you believe that doctor Yang? On your first day in peds."

With fake happiness she smiles and shakes her own head "no I can't, actually" Tyler cuts through is adults talking to ask "does this mean I can eat?" I look down at the little boy and answer "yeah. Doctor Yang will get you something." And she tries to look pleased but fails. Welcome to Peds Cristina Yang, I think to myself.

After my shift I am heading out of the main entrance when I see a woman with dark brown hair "hey, are looking for someone?" I ask her as she looks around. She rounds on me with wide eyes "yeah I'm looking for Arizona Robbins." I nod and push my bag up my shoulder "Doctor Robbins is in surgery is there anything I can do for you?" And she shakes her head with a laugh "No uh, I'll just wait" I nod and before I go I say "sorry what was your name again?" She smiles and sticks out a hand "Quinn Robbins. Arizona's sister" I look shocked and shake her hand "I didn't know she had a sister" I say and she laughs again "well she likes to keep me hidden" I laugh as well "well I will see you around Quinn Robbins"

As I leave the hospital I send Jackson a text asking if I can go over, a few seconds later I get a reply and I make my way to his house.