Chapter 35

I come out of the on call room I stayed in last night and head down to the coffee cart

I come out of the on call room I stayed in last night and head down to the coffee cart. I was on call last night and didn't see the point of going home. I would have been very distracted. So I stayed here and I now regret my life decisions. Those beds are so uncomfy.

"Hey Andy, wait up." I hear someone say and turn to see Callie rush towards me "hey Callie." I say linking arms with her as we make for the cart. "I have something important to ask you." She says looking over at me,I frown in concern "sure anything." She sighs as we join the cue. Callie unlinks our arms and turns to face me completely "Andromeda Tearney." She says rather dramatically "will you do me the honour of being my babies God Mother?" I break out in a smile and hug her "Callie!" I say in an unusually high voice "of course I will."

I break away from her and she sighs in relief "thank god, I don't think I could handle another person rejecting me." I raise my eyebrows as we step closer to the coffee "another person? Who else did you ask?" I ask my friend. She gives me a guilty look and dips her head slightly "Cristina." She answers and I gasp, clutching my chest dramatically "you asked Cristina Yang before you asked me?" I say and Calle squeezes my arm.

"I still love you." She says seriously and I smile teasingly at her "I love you too Cal."

-

April and Meredith paged me into a x-ray room. So here I am as April explains "I thought it was a benign cyst." She placed the X-ray on the light board "but it looks like it's probably a cystic hygroma." I study to scan with a deep frown "wow. The trachea is starting to close off." I muse and April folds her arms, turning to me "well, I'll move your diverticulectomy or maybe see if Dr Robbins or Dr Stark have time for it."

As if summoned by black magic he comes in and says "Dr Stark has time for what?" Holding his own x-ray to look at. "I've got a diverticulectomy." I answer before April can willingly hand my new surgery off to Stark "we were hoping you could take it. Cause this hygroma needs to come out right away."

The older man looks up at the x-ray of the little boy and says "oh, good lord. Why did you wait so long? This thing is a time bomb." I clench my jaw for a moment before explaining "we just saw the pain tent for the first time today." Stark shakes his head, eyes still on the scans "so what? The parents don't have health insurance?"

Meredith tilts her head "they do." She says softly. Stark picks up the x-ray "well, why didn't they get this kid to a doctor?" Judgement lacing his tone. "Kyle's mother has Alzheimer's. She was diagnosed a few months ago." Meredith explains calmly "and the father has been working like a dog so their insurance doesn't lapse. Kyle's taking care of his mum slaw much as anyone's taking care of him. They're just underwater right now."

Stark puts the scans back on the board "yeah, all right." He turns to April "call protective services." We all stand in shock "what?" I ask and he looks around at us "at least one of you here understood that right?" I stare at him in disbelieve. Meredith shakes her head "you can't take Kyle away from his parents." She says and Stark stares right back at her "you just told me they're not caring for their son." He argues.