Chapter 44

"You see that?" Derek asks while in surgery with a sink hole patient "hold the nerve root retractor

"You see that?" Derek asks while in surgery with a sink hole patient "hold the nerve root retractor." A pager goes off and one our scrub nurses goes and checks it out for us. "It's for you again Dr Shepherd." She calls and Derek doesn't take his eyes off of the patient as he asks "why is my pager going off every 30 seconds?"

He is exaggerating a lot but I bite my tongue to keep from correcting him, he has been pissed since his argument with Meredith and I don't think correcting something, even if it is meant to be funny, will be helpful right now. "Gloria's checking on it." I say trying to keep my friend calm "his SSEPs are coming back up." Derek sucks in a breath, he focuses back on our job "there'a still a lot of epidural bleeding. "

Just when I think we are able to completely focus again, the door to the OR opens and a woman says "Dr Shepherd  when  you have a second." Derek pauses, eyes still trained on the body he snaps back "does it look like I have a second? What the hell is the problem?" The women stares at us intensely.

"They said it's something to do with your baby." Derek and I share a look before he looks behind him to the woman.

-

I am sitting with Arizona watching the residents in the OR, arguing like they usually are. "Hey." Arizona says turning her head to the side "is the ER still a zoo?" I turn my head as well to see Mark stuffing his face with what looks like peanuts. Mark comes further into the room although doesn't sit down "no, they got everyone who survived out of the hole a while ago." He explains shoving more peanuts into his face "it quieted down."

Mark squints his eyes before taking a seat next to me "'she got the crossword down there?" He asks signalling Callie. "Sudoku." I answer "you ever try it?" Mark offers me and Arizona some peanuts. I don't take any but she does "bores the crap out of me." He replies and Robbins snorts "amen to that."

Arizona finishes her food and swallows before asking "who do you think the Gunther is?"Mark slowly looks over at us "what do you mean?" Arizona's face softens and I tilt my head gently to the side "is this your first one?"  I shrug "the name Gunther comes from the doctor, not the patient. One of the residents alway kind of emerges as a leader when they do this. And the first time, it was this little quiet guy named Gunther, and everyone thought he was gonna flame out of the program, but it turns out he's the alpha dog."

Sloan chuckles to himself and crosses his arms "great. We know it won't be Avery. He doesn't have any balls." I roll my eyes at his blatant dislike for the resident just because he is sleeping with Lexie. "Well, Karev's got balls but everyone hates him." Robbins muses casually "so I don't really see them following his lead."

I stretch my legs out in front of me "bound to be Yang." I argue. Arizona makes a noise and takes a few more nuts "I don't know." She says "Kepner's kind of a dark horse these days." Mark looks over at the blonde. "You feel good about that position?" He asks "you willing to back that up?" I smirk knowing what he means.