Chapter 82

Willow has been dropped off at the Sloan-Grey daycare, and I am excited to see my friends again

Willow has been dropped off at the Sloan-Grey daycare, and I am excited to see my friends again. Miranda Bailey comes up to me and Alex with a face of thunder and wagging her finger "These interns are sloppy!" She says "You people are training sloppy interns and I trained you, which means you're bringing shame to the whole family." She hits Alex in the chest before walking off. He looks at her confused "I just got here." He calls after her but she doesn't respond. I snort and peck him on the cheek "I'll see you later, pizza for dinner." I say and he nods. I move to leave but he grabs my wrist and pulls me back, kissing me on the lips so softly I almost imagined it. I hear someone pretend to gag and Meredith is standing behind a desk, pregnant belly protruding out of her, I wonder how far along she is. "Gross." She muses, picking up a clipboard. Alex rolls his eyes and I giggle "I'll see you later."

I reach the staff room and see Richard, Owen, Arizona, April and Callie standing around a table. "Swag bags for the Syrians." April says as I come closer, handing Callie a coffee which she silently thanks me for with a smile "Some sweatshirts and baseball caps, Post-its. Reslly cool penlights." She dumps the contents of the bags onto the table. "Ooh, those are nice." Arizona admires, flicking a piece of hair behind her shoulder but Richard does not look impressed "youre sending Post-its to Syria?" He asks and to be fair I am also confused. Owen nods his head "Yeah, I'm working with Doctors Aid International." He explains "We've flown in two Syrian doctors. They're general practitioners but now with the war, they've been recruited to staff the field hospitals. They are getting advanced trauma training with Seattle Pres and they're here for a crash course in basic surgical skills."

Clearly seeing the confused looks on my and Callie's faces, Arizona explains further "They need to learn what they can do quick and dirty." I raise my brows, sipping my coffee. "They roped you in. Which means that..." Arizona and I both share a look of slight guilt but she nods her head "Yeah, they're losing a lot of kids." A pit forms in my stomach as I start to imagine if Willow or Sophia were one of those kids in a war-torn country, with doctors who barely understood how to do surgery on adults let alone children. It makes me feel ill. I clear my throat and check my watch "I have surgery in 20 minutes, I'll see you guys later." and dip from the room.

-

I am outside, taking a five-minute breather after my lengthy surgery. I run a hand through my hair and slide down onto the floor. Ever since I have had Willow, work has become more mentally draining. I end up putting myself in the parent's shoes, imagining Willow in that kid's position. It weighs heavily on me every time I enter the hospital although some would argue it makes me a better doctor.

I let out a breath before heading back inside. I immediately met with Owen Hunt "Andy, are you busy?" He asks and I shake my head. He almost sags in relief and motions me to follow him. As we walk down the white plastered hallways Owen starts to explain "I have a new hire, he's on neo-natal but I thought you could show him around. Teach him how things run here since I'm training doctors from Syria." I nod, shoving my hands in his pockets.

Owen pushes open the door to his office and inside sits someone I have not seen in years. Since I was 10 and he was 12. "Theo?" I ask in disbelief, my cousin turns around in the chair he is currently sitting in. His face lights up, a face I barely recognise after all the time apart. "Dee!" He says coming over and hugging me. Owen gives us a confused look "You two know each other?" He asks, my cousin steps back, that smile still on his face.

"I don't just know her, she's my cousin." He explains and Owen raises his eyebrows "Perfect, well I'll leave you guys to it then." He says and exits through the door we just appeared through. Once alone, I turn, grinning at my cousin "When the hell did you become a doctor?" I ask and he smirks back at me "I finished my residency almost 3 years ago." He explains. I move towards the door and open it "I can't believe it." I admit "The last time we saw each other you wanted to be a pilot." Theo nods his head.

We walk down the hallway "So what changed?" I ask. Theo sighs heavily and something changes in his expression for a moment before he answers "Mum is- was sick. A couple of years ago." My heart feels like it might collapse on itself at hearing this news. "Oh, Theo I'm so sorry," I say, stopping us from walking and I place a hand on his shoulder.

He shrugs, not meeting my eyes "She had some incurable disease from when she was volunteering in some third-world country. The doctors, they had no idea how to help her." My heart breaks a little and I embrace him. A tear rolls down my cheek "Why didn't you reach out?" I ask softly and he shrugs, sniffling, he wipes his nose "Let's carry on with the tour." I say, almost wishing I hadn't said anything at all.

-

At the end of the day, I pick Willow up from daycare that evening, and Alex meets me there. "Hello, beautiful." He says taking our daughter from my arms and kissing her on the forehead. He then wraps another arm around me and pulls me into him as we walk out of the hospital. "How was your day?" He asks and I smile, remembering something "My cousin is working at the hospital." I reply. Alex's eyes widen as he places Willow in the car.

"Your cousin?" He asks "Doesn't all your cousins live in Spain?" I nod my head, climbing into the driver's side. "They do, Theo moved here to do an internship and he knew I worked here. Wanted to be close to family." I reply. Alex takes his phone out of his pocket and starts to text someone "Why don't we have him over for dinner?" He offers. I give him a quick look "Seriously?" I reply and he nods, still typing on his phone "You have lots of family, Willow needs family and she isn't gonna get that from my side of the family I just have a brother and sister I haven't seen in years."

Something inside me twists when he says this, everyone he knows and loves is here in Seattle. The people we work with are his family. I look behind me at Willow who is fast asleep in her car seat, I feel so blessed to have these two in my life and I know Alex feels the same.