Chapter 26

The attending's are all in the board room early this morning and I am telling Derek about what happened last night

The attending's are all in the board room early this morning and I am telling Derek about what happened last night. "You and Karev kissed?" He asks me to repeat, I nod while biting the inside of my cheek. I'm wringing my wrists nervously as I ask "do you think I'm being stupid? I mean it was only a kiss right?" Derek wipes his hand across his mouth and sighs heavily "maybe speak to him about it? If you are really ready to go into something again, he might like to know."

I nod and take my seat next to Callie. "I have great faith in you." Richard says "I can because I picked you, I've watched you work. I know what you can do. That's why today's different, the training wheels are coming off, people. I'm throwing down the gauntlet today." He leans over the table and I bring my coffee cup of to my mouth.

"I've got a million dollar surplus, and one department gets it. You know what you need and I know what you need. Now I wanna know what you want. And I'm gonna keep the residents busy. Very busy. So that'll give you time to put your best foot forward." The meeting ends and Callie basically glued me to her side as we March from the room.

Callie, Richard, Bailey, Teddy and I all stand and watch as the residence come out after being told they are attending's for a day. April comes bouncing round the corner, her happiness practically leaking from her. "Are you sure this is a good idea?" I ask looking over at Richard who is standing at the other end of our weird little line. "Of course it is." He answers, his eyes trained on Kepner "we all did it. It's the evolution of the craft. The passing of the torch. The lifeblood of the training process."

Alex and Jackson both appear, Jackson does something to make April laugh and I smile. Callie gives me a look and I frown "what?" She shrugs and leans more into me "I guess I thought you would seem more upset." I shake my head and squeeze Callie's arm "Jackson is an amazing man, he deserves to be happy." They all walk off and I notice Bailey has a look of concern on her face.

"Pray people." I say "we want God in the building today." Callie snorts at my joke before rounding on Richard "what time are we pitching you?" Bailey speaks up as well "yeah, is there an order?" Richard gives us all an innocent look and folds his arms "you people are adults." He says "you decide the order. I decide which department gets the million dollars. I love a good dog fight."

Callie unlinks our arms and says "he can be intimidating. Once you get in the room." And I see what she is doing. Teddy raises her eyebrows surprised "really?" Callie nods "oh, yeah. When I pitched my cartilage research last year, he was all ticked off cause I had a typo in my table of contents."

This throws Teddy off "you- you had a table of contents?" She asks and Callie plays her part well, "yeah." Teddy rushes off then and we start laughing. Bailey glares at us "what?" Callie asks "I love a food dog fight too."

I go to Alex's first patient, it's a peds case so I have to be there to supervise. Along with Mark. I sit on a chair in the room and speak with the patient and his mum waiting for the two men to appear. "Hi, I'm doctor Karev." Alex introduces himself to the mum who nods "Mindy Gruberman. Nice to meet you." They shake hands and I notice Alex not to subtly look at her boobs. "I can work with that." I hear him say quietly to Mark who is standing behind him.