Chapter 29

I stand with Bailey, Callie and Mark as the others wander in for their night shift

I stand with Bailey, Callie and Mark as the others wander in for their night shift. April starts to yawn, covering her mouth. "Did you just yawn?" Mark asks "was that a yawn?" I lean on the nurses station and look over at them all "don't tell us you're tired after getting to sleep all day." April pulls a face, trying not to yawn again.

"It's not as easy as it sounds." She says in a high pitched voice, Alex comes over to me and I hand him his coffee. "Not easy?" Bailey repeats "when I was a resident, I actually worked for a living. I did every other night call for five years." Stark is standing behind us, signing some last minute paper work "there were some days I didn't go home for 72 hours. I loved it." He says. Alex snorts and pulls me into him "as you trudged through the snow while you whittled your own scalpels."

The others start laughing and Robert looks up "sorry, I didn't quite catch that, Karev." Bailey cuts in however before they can start an argument. "Karev, I need you to follow up on my post-ops, and here take this research divide out all the fistula cases." I snort and give him a quick kiss and take a sip of my coffee "have a good day." I say before I slip away and towards the elevator with the others.

We head over to Joe's where we meet up with Derek "there's the man of the hour!" Mark says, I smile at my friend as the two of them embrace "congratulations Derek." I say and he hugs me "thank you Andy." He answers. Bailey congratulates the neurosurgeon before announcing "first round is on me..." but she trails off. I don't even notice until Callie says "uh guys." And I look up.

Cristina is behind the bar, wearing something I never thought I would see her in ever and pouring a beer. "Holy shit." I mutter, Cristina Yang is working at Joe's. We all make our way over and as we approach Derek asks "why are you behind the bar?" Cristina looks up for a moment before going back to what she is doing "Owen told me to get a job." She tells us "so I'm working." We all stand there in shock.

She finishes what she is doing and stands up properly facing us with a smile on her face "what is everyone drinking?"

We take a table far enough away not to engage in conversation with her but close enough to see Cristina at the bar. "She sat on the sofa for three days straight watching infomercials and eating cereal out of the box, so yeah, I told her to get a job." Owen range angrily. Callie rests her arms on the table and asks "but you didn't specify what kind?" Owen sighs and runs a hand over his mouth frustratedly "I thought she'd go to the lab." He admits after a moment "or the morgue I didn't expect this."

We all look over at her, I have to admit. She does look like she is enjoying herself, she at least seems happier then she was at the hospital but she isn't the Cristina Yang we all know. And love. "Tell her you changed your mind." Derek says, he is leaning back in his chair next to me "tell her she can be a housewife for all you care." We all laugh at the idea of that.