Chapter 79

I arrive back to Seattle after several months away

I arrive back to Seattle after several months away. In those months Alex was radio silent, he hasn't called to check on our daughter or anything. I don't know anything about what has happened at Seattle Grace, I don't even know if it still standing. I guess it's my own fault, for running away. Running back to the safety of my mum after we lost people important to us. But now I'm back. With a toddler that can crawl and put things in her mouth, which has been difficult to say the least.

I book Willow and I a taxi although before it arrives a familiar car pulls up and honks its horn at me. I smile and make my way over to it. Derek hops out and helps me with my bags and my baby "So." I say as I climb into the passenger side "What did I miss?" My best friend gives me a side eye before pulling away from the curb. "You've missed a lot." He muses before looking at Willow in the rear view mirror "And apparently so have we." I try to fight back the guilt I feel for the mile stones that both Alex and my friends have missed out on in Will's life.

I swallow and shift around in my seat "I had to leave Derek." I say quietly "I felt like I was drowning here." My friend sighs and takes a turn to his place and I send up a silent thank you that I don't have to face Alex yet. "I understand." Derek finally says after several minutes of silence "I understand why you ran away but Alex. He's a mess, a real mess without you." I bite my tongue, another thing I have to feel guilty about. It seems that no matter what happens, I am always running from him.

We reach Derek and Meredith's place and we go inside. "Zola's asleep and Meredith is on a night shift." Derek explains to me as he notices my confusion over the lack of noise. I nod my head and bring a sleeping Willow inside. Derek offers me the spare crib they have in their spare room and I gently place my baby down in it. When I return to the living room, Derek offers me a glass of wine before we both settle on the sofa. "So catch me up." I muse taking a sip of my wine.

-

The next morning I go into the hospital once known as Seattle Grace but now Grey Sloan Memorial. A hospital which is now owned by my friends, turns out I missed a lot in the last couple of months. Honestly I am just happy it's still standing. Now I have to go find Owen Hunt and beg for my job back.

I find Owen in the new ER. "Nice playground." I muse in a friend tone as I walk towards him, the chief turns to me in surprise "Andy." He says "You're... you're back." I nod, a smile spreading across my face preparing myself to turn on the charm. "Yep, and I was hoping I could have my old job back?" I ask sweetly, Owen nods without so much as a hesitation "It's yours." He says and this time it's my turn to be surprised. "What?" I ask and he looks at me confused "You wanted your job back and now you do?" He answers unsurely, I follow him around the ER, pushing my bag up my shoulder "I assumed I would have to do more grovelling." I admit and Owen shakes his head "We'd be stupid not to hire you back." Is the only answer he gives before ordering "Now go put some scrubs on." I smile and head towards the Peads unit.

-

"When did you get back?" Alex demands as he comes up beside me in the hallway, I look up at him "hello Alex." I say calmly. He glares at me "Answer the question Andy." My face drops into one of a frown "Last night, Derek picked me up and I stayed the night at their place." Alex continues with his glare. "and you didn't think to come home?" He asks angrily. I close the chart I was looking at and stare up at him "I just needed one more night Alex." I retort "One more night to get myself together so that I could come back to you in one piece."

Alex scoffs and shakes his head "We are supposed to be married." He argues "For better or worse, remember? But every time things go bad you just run off." He waves his arms in the air to make the point. "My sister died." I growl back "my sister died and I wanted to be with my family, you chose not to come with me, you chose to let me go on my own." Alex steps back for a second. "It wasn't a very open invitation Andy." He retorts "You took our baby and you left." I move and place the chart down on the side before crossing my arms and staring at him.

"Not once in those months did you call." I say knowing I am loosing this argument. Alex wipes his face with his hands "You did exactly was Izzie did." Alex says slapping the name of his ex-wife into our argument. I step back in shock as though he had physically slapped me and that's when we notice other doctors and patients staring at us. Alex comes closer to me, his voice dropping on volume. "I wont chase after you anymore Andy." he says and I feel my chest tighten "You either want to be with me or you don't but you need to decide." And with that he walks away. My entire world shattering along with it.

-

I get home with Willow kicking up a fuss, I turn the lights on and I notice Alex isn't here. He must be staying the hospital or with Meredith after our fight. I can't believe he thinks I don't want to be with him, after everything that has happened between us. Tearing us apart, it's finally my dead sister that does it. I finally settle Will down in her room before going into our bathroom, however I pause when I see something out of place by our sink. A perfume bottle I don't own. My heart plummets to my stomach and I feel sick. Is Alex cheating on me?