Chapter 8

I get paged in the middle of the night for a trauma and I report to Hunt, I struggled to get up, barely remembering to brush my hair before leaving the house

I get paged in the middle of the night for a trauma and I report to Hunt, I struggled to get up, barely remembering to brush my hair before leaving the house. I meet Callie on the way to meet Hunt and she yawns "late night?" I ask and she shakes her head "more like early morning." We reach Owen who is walking high speed down a corridor "Tearney, Karev's with your patient. Torres with me." I nod and split off from the other two going in the opposite direction.

Arizona and I get to the room at the same time "do you want it?" She asks, I shrug stifling a yawn "we can both did it." She nods and we head in. Inside is a girl with dark hair lying on a bed while Alex is standing above her "Laura Young, 30 weeks pregnant. Car accident, head CT showed a subdural. Shepherd's coming in. Baby's in distress, OB on its way" Alex informs us as he performs an ultrasound on her stomach.

"It hurts!" Laura Young wheezes, gritting her teeth in pain. I move closer to the bed and place my hand over Alex's ignoring the electricity I feel at his touch "hold on" I say gently "move the wand up." I direct his hand "what?" He asks when we both look at the screen. Arizona moves to my side "ok, baby's brain is hemorrhaging" she points out "she needs a crash-c while Shepherd handles the bleed. Get ready to grab the wheel and start running."

Alex nods and we make our way to the OR floor, we turn into a corridor that holds the elevator, meeting Callie in the middle "hey!" She calls "we need the OR!" Our beds line up next to one another and Arizona says "well we need it too and we're already on our way. There is only one OR prepped this time of night." I don't even want to get into how stupid that is because what if there is a massive trauma? Or a situation we are in right now?

"Which is why we need it." Callie argues as we get closer to the elevator, Arizona looks at her girlfriend harshly and says "ours has got a subdural." Callie looks back at her in disbelief "mines got fifty broken bones!" And they keep competing about how bad their patients are. Everyone starts running then but Callie is short lived as she is stoped by a nurse coming out of a door on her side of the hall.

Laura screams in pain the whole time we are running towards the OR, curled up on her side. Both Arizona and I drown it out but I can tell Alex is finding it a little more difficult. We get her under and scrub in, I pray that Derek gets here on time. We enter the OR and Arizona looks at me "ready?" She asks and I nod.

A while later Derek pushes open the door "what's her status?" He asks quickly and Alex, who is standing by the monitor like we told him too answers "mum's heart rate and BP have been fluctuating, but she's ready for you." Arizona and I are trying to keep the baby alive after OB successfully managed a c-section.
"Apgar's only four." I say "get to the NICU now."

We settle the baby into the NICU, Karev standing the other side of the baby listening to its heart beat "drain's in a good position." I say once everything is hooked up to her. "She's breathing over the vent." Alex says calmly "maybe we should consider extubating her." I look down at the beautiful baby girl that reminds me so much of my niece when she was born and reply "but watch for apnoeic episodes and keep an eye out for her CBC. Still too much blood draining from her head." I yawn, covering my mouth before asking "what time is it Karev?"