Chapter 17

"Three dates

"Three dates." Mark says as I hand him a coffee, me, him and Arizona are all in the lab keeping Callie company as she works on her project "no sex. Just talking. Do you have any idea how much you can learn about someone if you remain upright? I bet you didn't know Teddy hates the word 'moist' hates it. Would really prefer people say 'damp'." None of us know what to say so Mark fills the silence "you hear me? I'm growing again. I'm like grown."

Arizona and I laugh but Callie doesn't react at all "she's making cartilage from scratch." Robbins explains "she's a little preoccupied these days. It's super hot. I'm going to be late, Tearney don't we have a surgery together soon?" I nod checking the time. Arizona kisses her girlfriend and I pat Mark's back "I'll see you later buddy." I say and we leave the room. "How's Alex doing on your service?" I ask Arizona as we walk down the busy hall "he's doing great, he is going to be an amazing peds surgeon I know it. He works so great with kids." I smile, remembering all the time we spent with my family and watching him play with Ava "yeah I know." I say.

"My lunch is making me sad." Arizona says as her, Mark and Callie join me and Owen at our table "and I haven't started eating it yet." Callie and Mark have their heads together but Arizona is oblivious "I was gonna go for lasagna.'I don't know I didn't pull the trigger." She sighs and turns to her girlfriend "say what?" She asks innocently and Callie's eyes widen "nothing!"

Richard comes over then with a smile on his face "hello." He says and stands there awkwardly for a few moments before saying "alright then." And moves on. I feel really bad and have half a mind to go and sit with him but I also really want to know what's going on with Callie and Mark. However it is cut off by Teddy coming over like a storm "what is your problem?" Owen ducks his head in shame "Teddy." He says but she cuts him of, rage filling her eyes "you go to Shepherd behind my back about a patient you don't even know. You have no idea what she's been dealing with, the kind of pain she's in, pain that's only going to be worse after I ran a tube down her throat because your having some problem with her exercising her legal right to die. So I want to know what the hell your problem is?"

I take a slow bite of my apple, staying silent through all of this. Owen is silent as he stands up and leaves the table and Teddy still looking angrily at him as he walks away.

One the way out of lunch Mark and I walk past a board room where Webber is eating his lunch "you missed it." I say stopping in the doorway "Altman tire Hunt a new one in the cafeteria. Whole hospital is talking about it." Richard raises his cup of water and says "not to me. I walk in a room, and all the conversation grinds to a halt." Mark stands next to me and I try to ignore the twisting feeling in my gut "come on." Sloan says "you don't talk locker-room talk in front of the coach." We slowly walk into the room.

"I'm not the coach anymore, I'm a player." Richard says "I take a shower like everybody else." Mark leans his hands on the table and peers at him "Richard. You're a little bit like everybody else, but mostly you're still the coach. It's a sign of respect. You'd be wrong to take it any other way." Webber looks unsure and Mark and I make to leave. I turn around as I reach the door and say "I'm cooking dinner for me and Jackson tonight, why don't you come over. I make a mean Alfredo." Richard hesitated before nodding his head, sending me a grateful look "sure, why not." I smile and step from the room "I'll see you at 8 Richard."

On the way I text Jackson, letting him know we have company tonight and he says that's alright. Not that I'm asking permission but it's nice to let your partner know when plans have changed.

I am filing in some paperwork to discharge one of my patients when Mark appears, with a cupcakes from the hospital cafeteria "what's this for?" I ask smiling as I take it. He shrugs, leaning on the desk "I would like your help to get me and Teddy together." He says. I snort and take a bite of the cupcake "Mark Sloan, asking for dating help. I never thought I would see the day." I joke and he rolls his eyes "seriously I need your help." I sigh and place the cupcake down, picking my pen and continue writing "fine, you can come to dinner too." He smiles and kisses my cheek "your an Angel Tearney, an Angel." I laugh as he walks away. I take another bite of my cupcake.

It's currently the evening and Jackson and I are dancing around our kitchen as we cook "so Teddy and Sloan are coming too." He says as I put the food the table "yep, apparently he wants help getting him and Teddy together." I answer and I hear him snort. "I still can't believe him and Altman." I smile as Jackson comes over with the wine and lemonade, for those of us who aren't drinking "me neither, I never thought she was his type but whatever makes them happy I guess."

A few minutes later everything is set up and the doorbell rings "I'll get it." Jackson says as I pour the drinks, we decided not to have wine tonight so I put it away. Jackson appears again, Webber in tow "Richard." I greet going over and hugging the older man. He hugs me back and offers me something, flowers "these are beautiful thank you." I say and give them to my boyfriend to put away.

"This smells lovely Andy." Richard says as we sit down, I smile brightly and look at my phone which has just buzzed "it looks like Teddy and Mark aren't able to make it so I guess we should tuck in." And we do just that. Richard tells us about his day and we tell him about ours and then we talk about random things.

Richard Webber is a funny man, people are missing out just because he is the 'coach'. I can see in his eyes that he has been feeling lonely recently and I am glad I invited him over, he seems genuinely happy now. Jackson winks at me from the corner of my eye and I can tell he is thinking the same.