Chapter 28

Alex comes and picks me up for work, it's really sweet of him

Alex comes and picks me up for work, it's really sweet of him. However half way to work the car starts smoking and I grab the door handle in a panic "Karev!" I say and he pulls over. We both climb out of the car and he goes over and lifts the bonnet up, smoke comes out in a huge cloud and he groans in frustration "what the hell am I going to do?" He asks. I cover my mouth with my hand to stifle my giggling, Alex looks over and glares at me "this isn't funny Andy." I bite my lip and shake my head, folding my arms cooly in front of me "no of course not. Definitely isn't funny." But we both end up laughing.

Alex and I slide into the M&M later then expected, the towing service took a long time to come. I slide into a seat and Alex takes the one between me and Meredith as Teddy continues to speak about her heart transplant she did earlier this week. "You smell like you've been sweating booze." I hear Meredith say to Alex "where have you been?" He wipes his head gently before interlacing his fingers with mine.

Jackson turns around "I want the weekend you had." He says, Alex smirks playfully "what happens in Vegas you know?" I roll my eyes and get comfortable in my seat. We went to Vegas on a little holiday away from the hospital, we thought it would be a good thing to do now that we are officially a couple again. And he definitely didn't do anything shady. I guess he just wants to seem cooler then he actually is.

Alex leans over to Meredith "hey, who's Stark? I'm supposed to be on Stark's service today." April's head snaps around rapidly, I'm surprised she doesn't get whiplash "me too!" She whispers "he's the new peds attending, since Robbins left." Richard came to me before we went away, asked if I had any requests for another attending. I just told him whoever you thought was the best fit.

"Crap." Alex moans "I can't handle a bunch of sick kids today. I can't do it." I frown and squeeze his hand, he gives me a quick look before facing the front again. No one knew we went away together, since Alex went out before me. I had a few things to sort out first. "So was it a bachelor party?" April asks curiously, Meredith leans forward and shushes her "they're talking about Cristina." We all face the front and focus on what Teddy is saying.

"It became clear to Dr Yang that they were gonna need to switch modalities. The patient was put on ECMO..." she finishes explaining. A doctor sitting near the front, someone I have never met before asks "and why did Dr Yang opt to use the intra-aortic balloon pump over an RVAD?" Teddy seems a little caught of guard as she looks down at him from the stage "I... I can't answer for Dr Yang." She says and the doctor shoots back "and why isn't she here."

Meredith and I share a look, "she quit." Teddy says after a moment of deliberation "she left the program." There is muttering around us now. Mark leans forward, grabbing the chair in front of him "I'm sorry, what?" He voices "she what?" Teddy clears her throat and tries to regain control of the room "Dr Yang cleared the balloon pump with Dr McQueen, who agreed that it was best..."

Mark cuts in, standing up "go back. Go back." He says "Yang quit the programme?" Richard stands up, a phone to his ear and quickly vacates the room. "If we could finish the presentation." Teddy says weakly when Derek says "I have a question. Can you tell us about your decision to put Dr Yang in charge of this patient?" Teddy frowns, clutching the sides of the stand in front of her "sorry?"