Chapter 60

The next morning I wake up to an empty bed, I look over at Alex's side in sadness for a moment before getting out of bed

The next morning I wake up to an empty bed, I look over at Alex's side in sadness for a moment before getting out of bed. He didn't come home last night which means he is either dead in a ditch somewhere or he stayed over at a friends. As I get ready I realise I am not sad anymore, I am angry. He just left without an explanation, after being funny for the rest of dinner, not even meeting my gaze. We didn't speak in the car ride home and I remember his hands clutching the wheel so hard his knuckles had turned white. Doesn't he think I deserve more than that? That I deserve for us both to just sit down and talk about this?

I put on the Necklace that Alex face me yesterday despite what happened after. I tie my hair up and look at myself in the mirror. I place a hand on my stomach and take a deep breath. Now its time for work.

-

"Good morning Chuck." I say cheerfully as I enter my patients room, I ignore the fact that Alex is there and refuse to let him bring my mood down. "So Chuck's looking pretty good. His abdominal pain's decreased, I think it's a good time to schedule a gastroscopy." Alex tells me but thankfully Arizona arrives just in time that I don't even have to speak with him, I step behind the blonde, letting her work instead. Arizona smiles happily at him "great, great. Well, then you're in luck." She says the intern "Dr Peterson, because I think Dr Karev would be an excellent supervisor for your first gastroscopy."

I take this opportunity to look at my fiancée, his face one of confusion. "Thank you." The intern replies merrily and I silently thank her as well as this means Alex has no excuse to bother me all day. "Ok, Megan." He says with contempt "let's go schedule that gastroscopy." and the girl corrects him "it's uh, Morgan."

They leave and I sigh heavily as though I have been holding in my breath "thank you." I say placing a hand on Arizona's arm "anything for my best friend." She says sincerely before we follow them out soon after.

"What even happened between the two of you?" Robbins asks me as we make for the nurses station "I could feel the tension in there." I sigh heavily and hand the nurse my chart. "I told Alex something big and he freaked out, he went out last night and didn't come back." She raises her eyebrows "that doesn't sound like him at all." She says and I shrug dramatically. "It's what happened, and honestly I don't want to talk to him right now."

She nods her head like she understands and we move on.

-

The whole day I try to dodge Alex, still angry at him for how he reacted about my pregnancy. Although apparently he cant escape it as I heard a few of the nurses talking, the intern Arizona and I assigned to him is pregnant and currently having a heart attack. I feel bad for her and want to check up on her so badly but I know there is the remote chance that I could bump into him and I'm worried if I do, I might say something I don't mean out of anger.

So instead I find Derek who is just about to go into surgery and I angrily rant to him as he scrubs in. "And then he just leaves!" I say laughing crazily, through my arms up in the air "what kind of person does that when you tell them your pregnant?" Derek glances over at me, his eyes resting on my stomach for a moment. "I think you should hear him out." he tells me "he might surprise you." I scoff and cross my arms over my chest. "unlikely."

Derek finishes scrubbing and comes over to me, careful not to touch anything. "I know your pregnant and I don't want to say you are being hormonal right now out of fear for my life." He says flashing me a smile "but you have to give him a chance. I don't like Karev but I think you should at least sit down with him." I bite my lip nervously "ok." I finally cave. Derek smiles and kisses my cheek affectionally "I'm so happy for you Andy." I roll my eyes and shoo him off "yeah, yeah whatever go and save someones brain." He laughs and disappears into the OR.

Maybe Derek is right, I muse as I wander down the hall. Maybe I am over reacting a little bit, and I should try and talk it out with him. See why he left in such a hurry and why he was acting so weird. First I need to get over my anger.

-

Mark finds me after his surgery, I am hiding out in an On Call room. He sits down on my bed and I roll over so I am facing him. "How you feeling Star?" He says placing a hand on my legs. I huff and cross my arms. Staring up at the bed above me I say "I am still angry." I turn my head to look at him "Derek says I should give him a chance, to hear him out but what does Alex expect? He walked out after I told him I was pregnant. You don't just get over something like that."

The plastic surgeon pulls me up from where I am lying and puts an arm around my shoulder. "You have to cut him some slack." Mark tells me and I wrinkle my nose at that. "I thought you didn't like Karev." I point out and he rolls his eyes, squeezing me tighter. "I don't." He admits after a moment "but he makes you happy so I am happy to tolerate him. But bringing a child into the world is a scary thing, he's got so much stacked against him right now. I guess he is feeling a little helpless."

I move away from my friend and look up at him "you can't seriously be siding with him right now." I say my anger rising and Mark rolls his eyes again, leaning back against the wall. "Of course I'm not you idiot. I'm siding with you, like I always will and right now what's best for you is to sit and talk with him." I huff and turn away from him. After a second of pause Mark places a hand on my shoulder "you are the bravest, smartest person I know Andy." He says softly "and I know the two of you will get through this, you have been through worse."

I don't say anything and Mark sighs, standing up and making for the door. He stops when he reaches it and says "just some food for thought." I lay back down and finally find some sleep.

-

That night I make to leave, throwing up my umbrella because it's raining. I didn't speak Alex out at the hospital today, we shouldn't have to air our dirty laundry out for everyone to see like everyone else here. I just hope he comes home so we can talk about it.

I step out and relish in the cold air for a moment before heading for my car. Inside it I turn the heater on and press my hands against it sighing at the heat that it is emitting. Suddenly my passenger side door opens and Alex gets inside. My eyes widen but I don't move, afraid that if I do I will scare him off. Like a bird. He turns his head towards me, his big dark eyes wide.

"We going home or what?" He asks casually before looking down at some paper in his lap "I need your help studying for boards." A small, hopefully smile etches itself across my face. "Does that mean we are ok?" I ask and he looks at me confused "yeah, we are ok." He takes a breath in "do you want Indian or Chinese for dinner?" My smile widens and I pull out of my parking space. "Indian of course." I reply before taking off home.

A/N: don't worry this isn't the end of this little drama, I have much more ahead for these two love birds before they get to the alter. If they get to the alter.....