Chapter 21

We take the patient up to the ICU and I run a hand through my hair, the silence threatening to suffocate me

We take the patient up to the ICU and I run a hand through my hair, the silence threatening to suffocate me. "I'm going to find Alex, Mark and Lexie." I say, Owen gives me a concerned look "shouldn't we stay together?" I shake my head, looking around the empty floor "no, I'll be fine. I'll make less noise on my own." Teddy hugs me and so does Owen. I try not to cry.

After splitting up from the others it takes no time at all to reach the floor I need to be ok. I spot a head on blonde hair rounding a corner "Lexie." I call out loud enough for her to hear but not loud enough to bring any unwanted people over. She stops and I say in relief. However when I turn the corner I see the man with the gun pointing it at Little Grey. Without thinking I push myself in front of her, freezing my facial expression and calming my voice. "Sir." I say "if you are going to shoot anyone. Shoot me. Doctor Grey here, she is good. A better person then I will ever be. Let her live. Let her live and I'll know you are a good person too." Lexie clutches my arms with her hands so tightly I almost wince. Almost.

"I didn't plan to shoot all of those people." He admits, I try not to seem surprised "of course you didn't." Lexie manages to get out "no, you were, you were sad." He nods his head, lowering his gun so it dangles at his side "I only planned to shoot Doctor Shepherd." My heart almost stops in my chest. Has he gotten Derek already? Is that why he isn't shooting us? He got what he wanted? "And Doctor Webber." He adds as an after thought, I am glad he had the day off. The man's eyes go to the floor before flitting back up at Lexie "and you." My blood runs cold and I push her further behind me "sir you don't want to do that." I say.

He raises the gun again, his hand steadier this time "you unplugged the machine." He continues, totally ignoring me "your hands killed my Alison." That's when I connect the dots. He is Mr Clark, the guy who filed a wrongful death lawsuit and failed. So he turned to this. I feel Lexie close her eyes but I leave mine wide open, trained on Mr Clark and the gun he is pointing at us. I want to look the man who kills me in the eyes, so he can live with this for the rest of his damn life.

The gun goes off, I shield Lexie with my body. She falls to the floor with a gasp. However when we look round the cart of supplies we see that he is also on the floor. We look behind us and a swat member appears round the stairs, giving us a subtle nod. My heart is going crazy and I feel as though I am having a heart attack. "It's ok." I soothe quietly "it's ok." Mr Clark stands up as I do the same.

We race the equipment away before Mr Clark can fully stand. Lexie takes deep breaths and I suck in my tears, I can't cry now or I'll fall apart. We push through the doors of the room I left them in earlier "is he dead?" I ask, Mark looks up, eyeing me for injuries but I shake my head "just unconscious." He answers and I almost sigh in relief.

"His vitals are tanking. And there is nothing more I can do for him." Mark continues as the door closes gently. I comes round and kneel on the table over Alex, "don't die Alex." I plead "don't die." Lexie is crying, tears fall from my own eyes. "It's my fault." She says "I unplugged his wife: I'm so sorry this is my fault." I suddenly remember that I'm not with Alex. He's with Lexie. So I step away and she immediately takes my place. I notice Mark look at me but I ignore it.

Lexie is stroking his hair "i love you." She says and my eyes widen "do you hear me?" She continues "I love you." I swallow hard and look away. I move around the table to Mark "do you need help?" I ask and he nods. The both of us busying ourselves.

After we have done everything we can we all step back. Mark and Lexie are facing each other, I am picking the skin around my nails anxiously. After what feels like hours of waiting Alex begins to stir "Andy?" He says dizzily and Lexie jumps forward towards him. "Alex?" She says gently "it's Lexie." Mark grabs ahold of my wrist, keeping me from doing anything. "Andy, I'm so sorry." Alex continues, looking up at Lexie in a trance "don't go. We are soulmates. Don't go...." My heart feels like it is boring ripped out of my chest.

Lexie starts crying again and shakes her head "I'm not going anywhere." I bite my lip and look away, Mark cups my head and pulls me into him. Between panted breaths Alex says "you came back for me Andy." Tears whell in my eyes but Mark keeps ahold of me. Protects me almost. The door opens then, making us all jump. A SWAT member comes in and tells us "this floor is clear. We're evacuating you now."

I sag against Sloan for a moment before helping him and the SWAT team move Alex out of the building where he can be treated properly.

As soon as we get outside, the others carrying more of the weight, I collapse on the hot concrete floor. I sob then, let the tears come flowing out. I hear footsteps coming towards me and soon Richard Webber is helping me up "I've got you Doctor Tearney." He says comfortingly "I've got you."

He leads me out and to an ambulance, I can't stop crying. I feel like I am going to throw up. My head is spinning. "Where's Jackson?" I ask lifting my head up once I am sat down "where is he?" Richard looks nervous. I wipe my tears. "He's still in there. He hasn't evacuated his floor yet." He explains, my chest tightens and I move to stand up "he is in the OR floor. They need to get him out now."

An EMT comes over, making me sit back down "ma'am, I need you to sit for me." I don't fight, just let her move me around "it's Doctor." Richard corrects her and I shoot him a thankful look.

The ambulance take me somewhere. Seattle Pres I think but I'm not sure. I'm not paying attention. I'm looking down at my hands which are shaking. They used to be so steady. They are supposed to be as a surgeon, you want steady hands so you can do the complex stitches inside a person's body. Especially the tiny people.

At the hospital I am checked out for any injuries and they let me go. I find Alex's room. Lexie isn't there yet but he is awake. "Hey." He says groggily, I smile weakly "you have be quite the scare at the hospital Karev." He smiles just as weakly, turning his head to watch me as I sit down "you were there?" He asks. I lean forward "I was." He grunts and I take his hand, bringing it up to my lips.

"Did you mean it?" I ask "what you said about me not leaving?" He nods, wincing as he does. I let his hand rest between mine. "I did." His throat deep, dry "I meant it." I bite my lip. I didn't think I had any tears left but more come. "I love you Andy." He says I lean forward and kiss his forehead "I love you too Alex. I've always loved you." Just then the door opens, Mark and Lexie come in.

I step away awkwardly and excuse myself. I leave Alex's room, there is still blood on my hands and I go to wash it off. "Andy!" I hear someone call, I turn to look down a hall. Jackson is standing at the other end. I gasp and make for him in a run. He races towards me too and we meet halfway. I collide into him, kissing him deeply "you're safe." He breathes as we pull away "are you hurt?" I ask clutching him tight, never planning on letting him go "I'm ok." He assured me. Wrapping me in a cocoon of warmth, I lean into him, breathing in his smell and memorising his touch.

"I don't ever want to feel like that again." I say between sobs as I start to cry again. I feel Jackson kiss the top of my head "Reed is dead." I look up at him "so is Charles. Derek got shot and so did Owen. But everyone else seems to be ok." I hug him properly now. "I am so sorry." I say knowing both Reed and Charles were his friends. He holds me close. Not letting me go either.

A/N: I hope I did the two shooter episodes justice!!!! I love those episodes, I think they are so well done. What did you think of the last two chapters? What do you think of Jackson and Andy and Alex and Andy? Which couple do you prefer?