Chapter 58

It's valentines day, and Alex and I promised to give each other our gifts over dinner tonight

It's valentines day, and Alex and I promised to give each other our gifts over dinner tonight. But I wake up to the smell of something cooking in the kitchen and before I can even move to get out of bed Alex appears in the doorway with a tray of food. As he brings it over I notice what is on it. Eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes. The full works.

"Awe babe." I say as he kisses my lips gently and he smiles as he pulls away. "Happy Valentines day." He says making for the door and that's when I realise that he is already dressed. "I have to go in early." He tells me "but our date is still on for tonight." I smile as he brings in a cup of coffee "happy Valentines day." He says before racing off. To some people that might not seem romantic but to two doctors, that's probably as romantic as it gets.

-

When I finally get into work I go into the ER which seems to have a tense atmosphere due to Cristina and Owen having to share the same space. "Am I supposed to be studying for the boards right now?" Jackson asks appearing at my side, I wrinkle my nose and look up at him "what?" I ask not sure if I heard him right. Jackson stuffs his hands into his pockets "am I supposed to be studying for the boards now?" I shake my he'd in disbelief and hand him the chart.

"I can't believe you just asked me that." I say "of course you should start studying now." Just then we hear lots of crashing and glass smashing "look out!" Someone shouts and without even thinking I clutch tightly onto Jackson's arm as we watch a car drive through the ER. Jackson has his arms protecting me, shielding me behind him.

Once we realise what we are doing we quickly jump apart. I notice Alex looking at the two of us in anger and I feel sick. Owen and Cristina leap into action after nearly being hit by the car and I clear my throat awkwardly moving away from Jackson. "I have some patients I need to check on upstairs, you can handle that case." I say and without waiting for a response I leave the ER almost immediately.

The look on Alex's face was one of anger, confusion and jealousy. But it isn't my fault that a car came speeding through the building and the only person next to me happened to be my ex. I just know he is going to read too much into it.

-

"And she won't tell me where we are going!" Arizona finishes angrily as we finish our rounds "I think we are going camping." I look over at her as we stop at the nurses station. "What's wrong with camping?" I ask confused and she leans against the desk, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder dramatically. "What's right with camping." She replies with a scoff "it's cold, and we have to wear very unattractive clothes and sleep on the floor."

I shrug, leaning over the desk and taking one of the chocolates "my parents used to go camping on Valentines day." I tell her and Arizona's demeanour changes "oh well, they seemed perfectly happy." She points out and I nod my head slowly. Arizona throws her head back and groans "fine, I'll give it a go." I smile and squeeze her arm "it won't be as bad as you think."

I am writing up some pre-op notes in an empty office when the door opens revealing Alex. I smile and take my legs off of the desk where they were perched "hey you." I say and he smiles awkwardly. He is hiding something behind his back as he walks towards me "I know we said we would give each other our presents later." He says sitting on the desk in front of me "but I couldn't wait."

He brings forward two velvet boxes, I have no idea what they could be since I already am engaged. I frown unsurely as I open them, one is a necklace, the other a bracelet both with dates engraved on them. I look up at my fiancée in confusion so he explains "the dates on the necklace is the day your dad was born and the date you were." Tears start brimming in my eyes "and the bracelet is the day you joined the hospital and the day we go engaged."

I stand up and throw my arms around him "they are beautiful." I whisper and he chuckles. I sit back down and he reveals another present. "I wasn't sure you were going to like those." He admits "so I also got you a box of chocolates." That makes me laugh because how could I not love those presents? I stand up and peck him on the cheek "I love you." I announce and he kisses me on the lips "I love you."

-

It's the evening and we are getting ready to go to our dinner reservation. I am just finishing to curl my hair, my ring flashing in the artificial light. "You ready to..." Alex trails off when he sees me, I smile at him in the mirror and turn around "what?" I ask. He shakes his head and smirks at me, taking me all in "you look amazing." He says.

I stand up and look down at my outfit "it's just something from the back of my wardrobe." I admit and he wraps his arms around my waist "well, tell the back of your wardrobe I appreciate it." I laugh and smack him lightly in the chest. "You are such a weirdo." I say and we kiss "but you love me." He counters. I hum in agreement.

-

At dinner things are going well, Alex orders us some wine but I politely decline it. "What's wrong?" He asks when the waiter arrives with my water "nothing." I answer "I'm on call, I cant drink." I hope he doesn't realise it's a lie. And he doesn't as we order our food. Once the waiter moves on I swallow a deep breath and grab my bag.

"Now its my turn." I say dramatically "I am thankful that you waited patiently today because even though you gave me yours at work I didn't take mine with me." Alex stops me though by clearing his throat "actually I have something else." He says and he pulls out a bag I didn't realise he had. I guess I am really unobservant.

I take the bag and open it, inside are different, new scrub caps. "These are so cute." I say taking each one out and admiring each one before placing them back in the bag. "Ok, so my turn." I say eyeing him suspiciously. I then hand him my own velvet box. Inside is a pair of surgical themed cufflinks that I had custom made. And a pregnancy test. Alex's head snaps up and his eyes widen.

"Are you serious?" He asks and I nod my head, nervous about how he would react. He just sits back and stares at me in disbelief "I'm gonna be a dad?" he asks softly, I smile and nod my head again "yeah."

A/N: The controversial pregnancy trope. How do we feel about it? Because I have a few directions I can take this but I want you guys' opinion on it before I start writing the next chapter!