Chapter 6

It has been a day and a half

It has been a day and a half. Mark, Derek, Owen and I are all standing in the hall with the residents waiting for Richard Webber to come out and talk to them one by one. I stand at the other end of the corridor, looking at my nails "someone is getting fired" I hear one of the Mercy West residents say and another hisses back "stop it." They are all on edge but they have no one to blame but themselves.

"She wasn't even my patient" another Mercy Wester says and Cristina snaps her head up "what?" She snaps and he rolls his eyes "nothing." I look over at Derek who is wearing the same expression as me, nervous. "How long is this going to take?" Alex asks and Jackson, who is sitting opposite him taunts "why? You need to make a phone call?" The man next to him laughs and Alex looks at Jackson coldly before going for him. Jesus Christ.

All of us Attending's run to the fight and I pull them apart "Karev! No. You are better then this" I say as Derek pulls him away. I then turn to Jackson who is being dragged back by Owen "seriously Jackson? Get ahold of yourself, you are in enough trouble as it is." He glares at me and says "yes ma'am" sarcastically. I clench and unclench my fists.

"That's enough!" Richard says coming out of the office everyone is waiting to enter, everyone goes quiet and he starts speaking again "what happened here tonight, what happened to that patient was inexcusable! And we're gonna be here until I find out who is responsible for it. So until then, you'll sit down, you'll shut up and you'll wait to be called." Everyone starts looking around and Webber looks around "Hunt." He says and Owen follows him into the room.

"Multiple traumas" I say tying a gown around me "are you ready?" Jackson stands beside me and he smiles "of course, I love big trauma" I roll my eyes just as an ambulance rolls in "let's try to act less excited about people who could possibly die" I say and he shoots me a wink before heading for the ambulance.

"Try to keep the burn unit and trauma rooms clear" Hunt yells as I race in with a patient, 7 year old boy with severe burns on his legs and chest "hey, hey it's going to be ok" I soothe as I race is towards a trauma room "Tearney you got this?" Hunt asks as he holds the door open for us and I nod. The nurses set the boy up and I yell "someone Page plastics" and I start of evaluating the boy.

As I check his burns I ask "can you tell me your name?" A wheeze escapes the boys chest and I decide to listen to his breathing "Sebastian" he manages and I nod my head "good, hey Sebastian your breathing is a little funny so I want to take you up to a big machine to see what's wrong ok?" He nods his head and cries out in pain at the effort. Just then Mark bursts through the door "what have we got?" He asks and I step back letting him see the damage done "Sebastian, 7 years old, severe burns on his legs and chest" I say and Mark nods. He looks over the burns "3rd degree we need to sort these out now." I shake my head and stop him with my hand on his arm "his breathing is weak, I need to get him to CT. See how much damage has been done."