Chapter 14

It's Valentines Day and of course Jackson wanted to do something grand and romantic but of course I am on call so I decide to stay in the hospital "I brought you something

It's Valentines Day and of course Jackson wanted to do something grand and romantic but of course I am on call so I decide to stay in the hospital "I brought you something." Jackson says coming over, I smile "are we doing this now?" I ask and he nods. I rush to grab my bag, the present inside. I rush back to him and we switch our presents. We don't have time to open them however as our pagers go off, an emergency. I slide the package into my pocket and race for the ER.

Callie and I meet up with each other, Mark isn't far behind as he calls "Torres, Tearney." We both turn and watch as he catches up to us "do you know anything about putting together cribs?" He asks when he reaches us. Callie frowns at him "you bought a crib?" She asks and Mark nods, pushing open the door for us to walk through "Sloan's coming home tonight." He explains "and I got it put together, but it wobbles. It can't wobble. Will one of you take a look at it?" A smile spreads on both of our faces and I volunteer with a little laugh "you are like a sweet, nerdy dad, now. I don't even recognise you."

We round the corner and Mark pulls a face before stopping in his tracks, his gaze further up the hall. "Who's the blonde?" He asks and Callie and I follow his gaze "I don't know." Torres admits and to be honest I've never seen her before either. Mark's eyes don't leave the mystery blonde as he declares "I may be a dad, but I am a single dad. Excuse me." We both watch as he walks away. I lean into Callie and say "I bet you it's someone he already knows and that they just dyed their hair." A smile dances on my friends lips and she folds her arms "you are on."

Mark walks up to her, saying something as he goes before she turns around revealing Lexie. Callie huffs and I smirk "you win this round Tearney." She says and I giggle. Noticing I have some time before the trauma comes in I take the present out of my pocket, Callie eyes it in my hand "who's that from?" She asks and I raise my brows "Jackson, he wanted to do something g cute and romantic but we both had to work so we settled for gifts."

She looks at me strangely and says "well aren't you going to open it?" With a sigh I tear into the packaging to reveal a black velvet box. I hesitate for a moment before opening it and seeing inside is a bracelet with gems lacing it gently "wow." Callie says and I hold it up to the light to get a better look "it's beautiful." I say mostly to myself. Torres snorts and puts her hands in her pockets "that guy must really like you." I frown and she nudges my arm "what did you get him?" She asks and I place the box back into my pocket "an aftershave and a new wallet, he was talking about needing one."

Callie laughs and says "yeah because all of the money in it is breaking it." I roll my eyes but laugh along with her.

I have a surgery that's been pushed due to the trauma so I sit in her room, a 17 year-old called Ruby. I promised her that I would let her draw me if she let me do this surgery, she agreed because she is a budding artist. I sit as she tells me, all about how she wants to get into art school when she leaves here.

A head pocks around the door frame and Alex comes into full view "hey Doctor Tearney, we need you down in the pit." He says and I nod slowly, not wanting to throw off Ruby's concentration "alright, Ruby you will have to finish this later. Maybe after your surgery." She nods, her brown eyes flitting between Alex and I. I follow Alex out of the room and I give the nurse at the desk instructions on changing Ruby's meds since she isn't having surgery today.

As Alex and I head down to the pit I point out "I thought you were on Hunt's service today?" Despite the argument that Arizona and I had, we eventually agreed that Alex would thrive in peds and that to save any awkwardness and complications he can work under Arizona. He shrugs "I thought you didn't want me in peds, I heard that you and Robbins had an argument." I roll my eyes, pushing open a door hard "I didn't not want you in peds." I say "it's just complicated." Alex snorts and we finally reach the pit "Arizona will be your attending when you are on peds." I say "it saves any awkwardness."

Alex looks over at me for a moment and says "the only one who is awkward right now Andy is you." I watch as he walks away and I'm called into a trauma room.

When my part in the ER is done I head back to Ruby who smiles when she sees me "who was the hot doctor earlier?" Is the first thing she asks and I scoff, sitting back down so she can continue drawing me "why is that the first thing you ask?" I counter and she shrugs picking up a pencil "when will I have my surgery?" She corrects and I rub my hand on my forehead for a moment, a slight headache forming "in the morning, I had the nurses adjust your meds so that you won't go into shock before we can get you in there."

I watch as Ruby draws, she is concentrating so hard her tongue pokes out and for a moment I think that she looks like Bella when she was younger. All big eyed and smiling, happy all of the time until she wasn't. For a while. The whole family went through hell to help her and it took years, years to get her out of it but we never did get that smiling little girl back. My heart aches with missing that time, when the only thing we had to worry about was who was taking us to prom. Now I worry that I am in charge of keeping kids alive and I might not have all the tools to do that all of the time.

Ruby finally finished her drawing and hands it to me, face beaming with pride. I take it and let out a little gasp "Ruby this is amazing." I say and she laughs "it was rushed, I could do better with more time." She admits. I let out a low whistle and hand the drawing back to her "you are amazing Ruby I'll give you that." I check the time briefly and say "I've got to go, I have surgery in 15 minutes. I'll try to swing by later." She nods and I wave as i leave her room.

After my surgery I sit with Derek watching a surgery unfold "haven't you got anything better to do?" Mark asks as he comes into the room, sitting beside me "this is the closest I've been to the inside of an OR in a week." Derek says with a heavy sigh "last week, I would have been paged in to help. Now I'm paged about fundraising brunches." Mark takes a deep breath and I watch as he debates something.

Finally he opens his mouth and says "I'm adopting Sloan's baby." I widen my eyes in surprise "it's the right thing to do." He explains himself "I think I can. I certainly want to. Callie said she'd help.I'm having a baby." Derek smiles widely and I clutch Mark's hand giving it a squeeze "congratulations." We say at the same time and Mark kisses my forehead.

"How are things with you and Jackson?" Mark asks eyeing me gently. I smile at the mention of his name "great, honestly he is amazing and we are on almost the same page about everything." Mark raises his brows "almost?" I shrug indifferently crossing one leg over the other "we aren't going to agree on everything and it's not like we fight all the time unlike me and-" I cut myself off, looking down at my shoes "I'm glad your happy." Derek says and I smile "thanks D."

That night at home Jackson pours two glasses of wine and hands one to me "thanks you Doctor Avery." I say and he smiles, wrapping an arm around my waist pulling me into him "no worries Doctor Tearney." He says back a smirk dancing along his beautiful face. I bring my glass up to my lips as Jackson says "I think I may have helped Lexie come out of her shell today." I raise my brows and set my glass on the counter "oh yeah?" I ask and he nods.

I smile and come back over to him "I have someone else you can bring out of their shell." He smirks and gently starts walking back until his back is pressed against the counter "and who would that be?" He asks sounding placing his glass behind him. I reach Jackson, pressing up hard against him "fancy helping a girl out?" I ask and he nods bring his lips down to mine.

Both Jackson and I are lying in bed, Jackson is asleep but I am wide awake, my head spinning but empty at the same time. A pager starts going off and I reach over Jackson to pick it up "I've got to go." I whisper kissing him gently. He groans and doesn't say anything as I slip out of the bed and get dressed quickly.

I rush to the hospital and up the stairs to Ruby's room where a bunch of doctors and nurses stand around her "time of death 23:45." Arizona says and glancing back at me "I'm so sorry Andy." I nod blocking out the feelings I may have about this and step out into the hall. Arizona comes out after a minute "she went into shock." She tells me "no one could have predicted this." I nod my head and look from side to side "I know that." She hugs me then and I hug her back. My mind wanders to the drawing in her room, the one of me.