Chaoter 43

"And you've got the best mommies

"And you've got the best mommies." Teddy tells Sofia as all four of them stop off at the desk I am currently sitting at. Teddy is speaking absolute nonsense to the baby making Callie and I share a look. "What's wrong with her?" I ask sitting back in my chair and Arizona looks over at me "she's getting laid. She's unnaturally cheerful." Callie and I both hum in acknowledgment as Lexie comes down the stairs with a bunch of new interns, giving them the speech Cristina gave her and that Bailey gave her.

Callie watches them pass "oh! Oh! New interns." She tries to sound excited "I hate new interns." I snort and high five her in agreement. "Seriously?" Teddy asks before turning back to the baby and switching her voice 'I love new interns. They're the future, the next generation, filled with hope and promise, innovation." My eyes widen as I look at her curiously. I stand up and hand my charts to a nurse "wow. The sex with Henry must be really good." Teddy grins like a child with their favourite toy "earth-shattering."

Torres is laughing as Teddy leans into Sofia and continues "not even Yang's gonna get me down. No, she's not." Teddy walks off and I start playing with the ring on my finger absently. Both women gasp as they notice it and Callie smiles "oh my god! Congratulations!" I feel my face going red. I push my hair out of my face as Arizona says "so Karev finally had the balls to ask you." I chuckle and shrug "he had been talking about it for ages, I guess I knew he was gonna to do it."

I move around to their side of the desk as Callie squeals "when did it happen?" I swallow awkwardly and answer "he asked me at your wedding reception but I didn't want to take anything away from your night so we decided to wait to make it official." I hint at my ring. Callie embraces me and says "I am so happy for you Andy." I smile brightly.

-

We are all at this breakfast thing in the cafeteria when April gets all of our attention "good morning!" She says brightly "and welcome to your finally year of residency." Mark comes over to me and nudges my shoulder "congrats on the ring." He says and I look down, as though not believing it for a second "thank you." I reply. I steal a croissant from his plate and he pouts slightly "Karev is absolutely obsessed with you Andy, you two are gonna do well." I snort and sit back in my chair "thanks dad." He playfully hits me for that.

Jackson asks to speak with Sloan so I make myself scarce and find Arizona. It makes sense that we sit together for this as we are in the same department and I am kind of her boss. "Alex this is serious." Arizona is berating my fiancée "if you want the Peds fellowship next year, you're gonna have to earn it." Alex frowns, digging into his food absently "I just brought over a bunch of sick kids from Africa." he argues casually "and my fiancee is the head of the department." I roll my eyes and lean forward "you are still gonna have to earn it Alex, I'm not handing out freebees." He frowns at me but I just give him a smile.

"Well did you publish an article about the Africa project?" Arizona asks redirecting the conversation "because all the people apply for Peds fellowships, they've all been published." This throws Alex off and he looks between the two of us "you're already getting resumes?" He asks and I nod "yes and you are way behind." Arizona rubs her forehead awkwardly "look, I hate to kick a man when he's down, but...."

This makes Alex pull a face "who's down? I'm not down." He argues. Arizona's face turns neutral as she points out "everybody hates you because you narced a fellow surgeon. You're a pariah. Do you need me to go on?" This seems to shift something in Alex as he looks slightly beaten "no." He says "I'm good."

Just then Webber comes strolling through the door and April makes a weird noise "and here is the chief." She announces "Chief, is there anything you'd like to say?" This is the first time that April has managed to get everyones attention and the older man looks slightly uncomfortable. "You all know what you're doing. Just don't kill anyone." I bite my lip to keep from laughing as Chief Webber turns and points at Big Grey "Meredith, can I see you in my office?" and she follows him out.

-

"She got fired and she is acting like she still didn't do anything wrong!" Derek says as we sit in the hospital daycare with Zola and Sofia, I am allowed to see her because she is my god daughter. I hand the little girl a plastic toy and sigh "Derek I think you should cut Meredith a little slack ok." Derek gives me a betrayed look and I roll my eyes "don't look at me like that, I meant that she didn't do it to purposely ruin your trial. She was doing it for Adele." Derek stretches his legs out as the two girls wander off.

He rubs the back of his neck "so you are telling me that you wouldn't be the same with Karev?" he asks. I shift so I am completely facing my friend before I answer "I would be angry, sure, of course I would be. But I wouldn't hold it against him forever because one, life is too short to be angry like that and two, I know it came from a good place."

Derek Shepherd sighs heavily, wiping his mouth with his hand "so." He says changing the subject swiftly because he knows I'm right "when's the wedding?" I roll my eyes again and watch Sophia play with the other kids. "I don't know." I admit "we haven't decided anything yet, we only just got the engagement ring." I hold up my hand, it's nothing flashy but I love it. It was the first one I saw when we went into the store.

My friend smiles and looks over at his own daughter "have you told your family yet?" I snort and lean back, stretching my legs out as well "not yet, its the type of news I should probably tell them in person although they will kill me for not telling them sooner." Derek chuckles before standing up and helping me up as well. "I haven't told my family I married Meredith, I don't think I plan to either." I raise my eyebrows.

We leave the day care and head down the hall "seriously?" I ask "why?" He shrugs and presses the button for the elevator "I don't see the point." He says and my heart breaks slightly at the thought of my best friend already giving up on his marriage.

-

"How's Nicky doing?" Derek asks as he walks into my OR, Alex is taking the lead on this surgery so he answers "checking for any missing bleeders and them I'm out." I look over at my friend on the other side of the table "the kid had a renal artery thrombosis. I thought his kidney was a goner, but Alex did an interposition graft and saved it. He's doing an amazing job." We share a smile. Derek looks down at the patient with sad eyes "I need to stabilise his spinal fracture." He tells us "so what do you got, about another hour or so?"

I continue smiling as I answer "well, with the rock star over here, you never know. I'd keep your pager close by." Derek nods just as someone comes bursting into the room. "Dr Shepherd." The person says and he whirls around "Janet Meyers with social services needs to speak with you." Derek sighs and mumbles something under his breath. "She's waiting in the lobby." Derek turns around to face me "Meredith is strong." I tell Derek "you're strong. You're gonna make it."

Alex then completely snaps "could you guys just keep it down?" He shouts angrily "I'm trying to concentrate. Please." we both look at him for a second before Derek makes for the door "all right. just page me when you're ready." When he leaves I look over at Alex with a frown. "What was that about?" I ask and he sighs heavily, his eyes going to back to his work.

"I got Meredith fired, its my fault." He explains, I shake my head violently and clear my throat "Alex, Meredith was the one who put herself into that position. Anyone could have seen her, this isn't on you." Alex goes quiet and I don't push it.