Chapter 61

Alex and I stay up all night studying for the boards

Alex and I stay up all night studying for the boards. And we don't address the elephant in the room that is our baby. Of course I want to talk about it but I don't want us to have another argument. Not that the last one was really an argument, we just stopped speaking. "It was a fiasco." Teddy tells us as we walk down the hallway, I stifle a yawn and take Callie's coffee from her. "It couldn't have been that bad." I say as Callie snatches the drink back with a pout on her face. Teddy gives me a look "it was precisely that bad." She corrects, she is talking about her presentation to the board of directors to get a grant for her stem cell research.

"No, but it's stem cells." Arizona argues from the other side of me "it's the future. I mean, they know that." Teddy just sighs quickly, clutching a magazine in her hand . "No. It's dead." She says casually "just like my husband, who is also dead." This catches us off guard and we stop walking "there's a theme here you noticing?" She asks, her expression and voice light. We all give the cardio surgeon a concerned look "Teddy." Arizona says and Teddy cuts her off "do you know what? I don't care. The nice part about having a dead husband you stop caring about anything at all."

She starts tearing up and Callie responds "you should ask Owen to put a good word in. The chief of surgery can have a lot of pull in these decisions." That speech might have worked had she not said the O word because as soon as she said it Teddy logged out, stopped listening. "I don't talk to Owen Hunt." She says coldly, her whole demeanour changing before storming off. I take Callie's coffee again and drink the rest of it.

"Now that was just rude." She says staring at me in shock, I shrug and throw the empty cup in the trash "should have held onto it tighter." I answer.

-

Callie and I are sitting silently in the X-Ray room, she is typing away happily on her phone and I am looking over a patient chart. We hear the door open and then Teddy saying "I got it." We both look over at her, leaning through the door way "got what?" Callie asks. Teddy's smile broadens "the grant." She replies and we both gasp in surprise. The cardio surgeon comes further into the room "four million to grow hearts from stem cells." She adds and both Callie and I leap from our seats.

"You got it?" I repeat, so happy for her and the three of us embrace tightly in celebration. "I'm gonna grow hearts. Can you believe it?" Teddy asks her excitement buzzing all around us. "Oh my god Teddy that's amazing!" Callie says as we all step away. "I must have not done as bad as I thought this morning." The blonde admits "unless- or I charmed them with my fumbling desperation. I have no idea. I don't care. I got it."

We all buzz with excitement before my pager buzzes and I look down at it. "I gotta go but congrats." I squeeze Teddy's arm and smile at her before heading to receive a patient.

-

I reach the ER and make my way towards a bed that has a little boy in it. "Joshua Winston, age 7. Complaining of chest pains and difficulty breathing." My first year resident repeats to me as I grab my stethoscope from around my neck. "Alright Joshua." I say as friendly as possible "I'm just going to have a little listen to your chest, ok?" He nods, his mother clutching his shoulder tightly out of fear.