Chapter 69

3 month later

3 month later

Derek and I are sitting in silence in one of the meeting rooms, I am doing paperwork and Derek is just sitting there. "Just sitting there won't do you any good," I say without looking up from my paper. Derek huffs and I see out of the corner of my eye he leans forward in his chair while opening and closing his fist, looking at the scar. "What else am I supposed to do?" He retorts, and I finally look up, sitting back in my chair and gently moving from side to side. I place my pen down "visit your Goddaughter for one." I answer snappishly "you've only been to see her once, she would love a visit from her Uncle Derek."

He opens his mouth to reply but before he can Webber comes in and says to us gently "just wanted to let you know, we're all set for tonight." Derek and I nod, "unless you guys had some questions or concerns." We share a look before Derek looks down at his arm again. "We don't." He replies lowly and Webber gives us both pitiful looks "ok, 5:00" I swallow hard trying not to cry. I have done so much of that since we rescued everyone from the plane crash, and my heart still aches. Derek's pager buzzes and he leaves, I then go to visit Mark.

I sit and tell Mark about mine and Alex's daughter like I do every day. And every day he doesn't stir. Today is no exception. Tears are brimming in my eyes as Callie comes in "mind if I?" She asks and I shake my head, sniffling and wiping the tears before they can fall. She sits on the other side of Mark and takes his limp hand in her own. "So I guess today's the day Derek's gonna operate." She starts and my eyes widen at the news although I stay silent letting her continue "with his brand-new hand. And it is gonna work. It's definitely gonna work." She pauses and there is slight tension in this room, as there always is.

"You think it's gonna work right?" She asks and not shockingly Mark doesn't reply. Derek then comes wandering into the room "I thought I might find you two in here." I look over at him with a matching grim expression. "I keep thinking if I say something big enough. Or shocking enough, he'll just, he'll just open his eyes." Callie says I look down at our friend and my chest tightens more "seven hours till 5 pm" I muse darkly. I bite my lip as tears threaten me again "his directive was very specific." Derek reminds us gently "if, after 30 days, there are no signs of recovery, Mark wanted to be let go." A tear falls down my cheek.

Derek continues "that's all we're doing. Honouring his wish." I nod my head, sitting back in my chair "I know," I say "his wish just sucks." Derek places a hand on my shoulder and gives it a comforting squeeze. Callie then smirks as though she has an idea and leans closer to Mark before saying "oh god, it's so hot in here. I think I'm gonna take my shirt off. Yeah, that's better. Yeah, it's so much cooler with my boobs out." Derek and I chuckle understanding the logic of saying something like that to the great womaniser Mark Sloan.

"Well if that didn't wake him, I don't know what will," I say when Mark still shows no signs of waking up. Callie and Derek leave and I move closer to Mark's bed. "I know you want to be with Lexie," I say, my entire body aching with the grief of losing both Lexie and now Mark "it's ok to go in your own time, no need for the dramatics." I wipe my eyes and smile weakly down at him. "Alex and I have put off moving to wait for you." I continue quietly "I couldn't leave without saying goodbye." Mark is still motionless, so I kiss him on the forehead before also leaving the room.