Chapter 70

3 months before

3 months before

We arrive at the hospital where they all are. Where they were taken after the crash. "Where are they?" I ask panicked to the people at the front desk "the doctors from the crash, where are they?" They tell us where they are and as we all rush towards the rooms one of the nurses shouts "you can't go in unless you are family." Webber turns his head and shouts back "we are as good as." I find Derek's room and I almost collapse when I see his hand. It's mangled and bloody and probably infected.

"Hey, Andy." He says coughing up a storm once the words are out, I go over to him, rubbing my pretty pregnant stomach. "I'm so glad you're alive." I say hugging him closely "I got off lucky." He says admiring his hand "lucky?" I ask "you'll be lucky to use that hand again." We both wince after I say it but it's the truth. He clears his throat "I am going into surgery soon, they think they can restore its full function." My face lights up "that's so good Derek, I -"

Before I can continue however a doctor cuts me off "are you from Seattle Grace hospital?" He asks and I turn around nodding my head. The man looks glum as he links his hands together before saying "we need someone to ID this body since her family members are unavailable...." My heart feels like it stops beating when he says the word she. Who is it? Cristina? Meredith? Arizona? Lexie? I nod my head again and follow him from the room. As we walk down the unfamiliar hallways I run through the possibilities in my head. If it was Arizona, Callie would have been asked to identify the body. If it was Cristina, Owen would be here as they are not divorced yet. And if it was Meredith.. Derek would have been in hysterics. It would have been obvious if she had died.

We reach the morgue and inside is a body laid out on a metal table and white sheet covering it. The first thing I notice is how small it is and a wave of nausea takes over. "We are going to throw back the sheet for a minute, long enough for you to identify it." The mortician tells me gently and I suck in a breath. "Just do it." I say my voice barely above a whisper. They throw back the sheet and I step back a couple of paces. Tears are falling from my eyes "that is Alexandra Grey." I say as my throat tightens. They put the sheet back immediately but I feel like I am splitting in two.

Lexie, the girl who came to Seattle Grace looking for her sister. The girl who made the effort and was the friendliest, kindest girl I have ever known. The girl who wanted to become a surgeon. I am sobbing with so much force that my entire body shakes. Then something happens and I look down "my water just broke." I say in shock and suddenly I am rushed into a delivery room.

"Push!" I hear the midwife shout at me "push!" Bailey is with me, holding my hand. I scream in pain as I do what the professional says but I have been doing this for hours with no success. "You are almost there," Bailey says comfortingly and I don't believe her. This pain is never going to end. I push more, my face scrunching up with the effort. "Just a little longer." The midwife says urging me on.

I scream at the top of my lungs as another, high-pitched one joins me. "Congratulations." The midwife says gently, bringing my baby over to me "it's a girl." I smile weakly, holding out my hands to take her. She is still crying but when I get her in my arms she just looks up at me with her round brown eyes.

Then something unexpected happens. She goes limp, her skin going grey and her lips turn blue. "Grey baby syndrome." I say snapping my head up, my entire body tensing "please." They immediately take my baby away from me again and leave the room, going to help her. God, I haven't even named her. I feel sick. Bailey rubs my back "you did well Andy" She soothes "they'll save her, I promise." For some reason, I don't believe her.

Turns out that not only does she have Grey Baby Syndrome but she also has a hole in her heart as well as haemophilia. Things that should have come up in the tests I was booked in to have next week. God I wish Alex was here, it's just one thing after another and I feel so helpless. A paediatric surgeon whose baby needs lots of surgery. The irony isn't lost on me.

We are all being transferred to Seattle Grace, I requested my baby be moved there where I know who will be her doctors and the treatment we will be going through. The doctors at this hospital put up a fight at first, telling me that they don't think she would survive the trip. Which I carefully reminded them that I am a doctor trained in paediatric surgery and that if anything were to happen I would be able to help her in a way a normal parent would not. They didn't argue after that.

When we arrived back in Seattle we head straight the hospital. Alex meets us there, a worried look on his face. She is attached to loads to tubes and machines and I look over at my fiancee "say hello to your daughter." He looks at me in shock. "I am so sorry I wasn't there." He says but I shake my head, waving him off "Alex it's fine, you didn't know. Neither of us did. The important thing is we are here for her now." We both look down at our daughter, both of us feeling helpless and out of control.

"What are we naming her?" Alex asks cutting through the silence, my eyes start to water as I say "I don't know, I just want her middle name to be Alexandra." His head snaps up "Lexie...." He asks without saying it. I nod my head and he envelopes me in a hug "oh baby, I am so sorry." I clutch him as I sob, the image of Lexie's cold, dead body lying on that table ingrained into my mind. "Let's name her Willow." He says I nod my head agreeing, "Willow is a beautiful name."

-

"Oh she is beautiful." Mark says when I show him a picture of Willow "just like her mum." I laugh and pat his arm. "Yeah well she is also in one of 23 surgeries to help her better." I say and he looks at me seriously "she'll pull through Andy, I know it. You Tearney's are hard stubborn bastards. I smile weakly and put my phone away "what about you?" I ask "what did they say would be your recovery time?" Mark scoffs and waves me away.

He adjusts himself on the bed "I don't want to talk about me, let's talk about your wedding. Who's walking you down the isle?" It's getting closer to the big day. 4 whole months. "Well." I say letting out a deep breath "I was going to ask you, so you better get healed in time for the rehearsal." Mark's face lights up "you want me to walk you down the isle?" He says sounding shocked. I nod my head and clutch his hand, which like my daughters is covered in wires. "Why not." I reply honestly "you have seen my through so much, it only seems right." Mark tears up and I laugh.

"Stop it, you'll make me cry." I say and he hugs me tightly. Jackson then comes in, clearing his throat "I'll see you later." I tell my friend before leaving the mentor and the mentee to have a little chat.

A/N: This is a little filler chapter of what happened before the 3 month time jump. I hope you enjoyed it :)