𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟹𝟷

𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚘'𝚜  𝚙𝚘𝚟

𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚘'𝚜 𝚙𝚘𝚟

My phone was ringing and the ringtone was different from all the others which meant that Lia was calling me. I picked up my phone as I picked up the face time call.

Lando: "hey babygirl."

Amelia: "hey handsomeeeeee!"

Lando: "how are you?"

Amelia: "I'm good. You? Feeling good about Austria?"

Lando: "yea definitely. Think it's gonna be good. You? How are the trainings?"

Amelia: "Olympics 2024 are gonna be amazing!"

Lando: "dressage with... McLaren? Show jumping with Sten?"

Amelia: "yes sir! The big boys on top of the world."

A soft giggle rolled over her lips. She was laying on the grass with 2 leadropes so my guess was that Quince and McLaren were grazing around her.

Lando: "are the boys there?"

Amelia: "yea."

She let the camera go into the direction of both horses showing them quickly to me.

Lando: "tell them to keep you alive for me."

Amelia: "think they heard that."

A giggle rolled of her lips as she smiled widely at me. I smiled widely at her happy face and saw the pure joy in her eyes. This really was what she was living for and it really was what she wanted. We talked for a while longer before she had to go to the last vet check before tomorrow's first jumping round with Sten. I hung up and got back to the cafeteria where the rest of the team was as well.

I was sitting in the cafeteria as the Olympics were played on the big screen. Amelia her round was almost coming up. 3 more people. Their rounds went by quickly and they all had at least 1 bar down or were out of time. Amelia and Sten entered the arena. I was focused on the screen just like the rest of the cafeteria as they all knew her of course. Sten was spicy I could tell by the way he walked. The sound of the commentator over the speakers made him spook. He made a sharp 180 degree turn and galloped into the other direction in panic. Amelia lost her right stirrup but kept her balance. She stopped the horse before she placed her foot back in. She let the horse canter again and then the bell sounded. She went to the first fence, clear, second, clear, third, clear, fourth, clear, fifth, clear, sixth... she flew over the sixth jump. Sten pushed off to early causing them to fall into the sixth jump. The bars fell on top of Sten while Sten fell on top of Amelia. I gasped and held my breath as Sten quickly stood up and trotted a few passes away before he looked around to where Amelia was laying. She wasn't moving. Vets grabbed the reins of Sten while medics rushed to Amelia. Sten started screaming to Amelia and started going wild in the hands of the vets. Nica had entered the arena now as well and grabbed the gelding his reins before leading him to Lia. Lia was laying on a stretcher now as the nose of Sten digged into her waist. I saw Amelia her head move a little bit before her hand slowly gave the gelding a pet. She was alive. The movement looked slow and weak. After that one pet her mouth moved a tiny bit before the medics took her away. I immediately texted Nica in hope she would react soon.

Nica

Hey Lando!
I still don't know how she is. I know
Sten is fine and "you couldn't do anything
about it boy. It's alright." made him
calm again. I'll update you when I know
anything or hear anything. For now
I only know she's in the hospital.

I sighed at the text. Of course she thinks it's not his fault. She never blames the horse even if they are at fault. This might be one of the biggest accidents that she had. Maybe I should go there right now and let the race go?

Daniel: "no your going to race tomorrow. I promised her that whatever would happen you would race!"

Lando: "but I want to be there for her."

Daniel: "and she wants you to race. You would want her to ride her competitions when you crash right?"

Lando: "yea but that's different."

Daniel: "how's that different?"

Lando: "I don't know..."

Daniel: "your racing today!"

Lando: "I'm going there straight after!"

Daniel: "if Zak agrees it's a deal."

I sighed and went to Zak his office to ask him about it. I knocked on the door and heard his voice call. I opened the door and he smiled at me. He told me to finish the race and a few interviews and that I was then free to go. I agreed to it and hoped the day would go by fast.

I passed the checkered flag. Finally! It's almost time to go to Lia. I sighed as I slowed down a bit.

Jose: "that's P2 Lando. Great job!"

Lando: "really? Wow thanks guys!"

I wanted to be happy but I couldn't be that happy as Amelia staid flowing in the back of my head. I arrived back we celebrated the podium and then I went to do interviews. I arrived at the last one and after a few more questions we arrived at the last one.

Reporter: "2 last questions. How is Amelia? And is she gonna ride again?"

Lando: "I actually don't know how she is. Before the race I texted a little with her groom, Nica, she would update me if she knew something but when I got into the car I didn't get any information. Is she gonna ride again? Yea I think she is. Even if she was disabled. She's an equestrian. She's strong like a gymnast riding 600 kilogram beasts... she can get thrown off... kicked off or beaten off... but she will just climb on and go again... because she says it's never the horses fault. ... and that's something between her ears... it's always her fault... never the horses fault. That's what she says and will always say. No matter what happens."

The reporter thanked me and I quickly left to change myself and get on the plane with my suitcase to Paris. The traveling couldn't go by slower and as I landed in Paris my phone started ringing. Nica was calling.

Lando: "Hey Nica. I just landed. I'll be there as fast as possible."

Nica: "good to know. I've just got something on Amelia... not much just a little."

Lando: "well tell me."

Nica: "they've put her in coma for now, she has some brain damage which caused her legs to go numb but they think she can use them after rehab... the same for her left arm. She probably can move her hand though. So it's all gonna take some time but it'll be okay I guess."

Lando: "God that's horrible... she will never be able to wait that long-"

Nica: "to get back in the saddle? Yea probably not. I talked to the people of the stable and we thought it might be best for her to join you to races for a while? It's one of the only ways to keep her happy and prevent her from climbing onto a horse."

Lando: "I think it's the best idea yea. We will talk about it when I arrive okay?"

Nica: "see you in a few."

(1240 words/2 gifs)