56| City Slackers

During later in the day Shawn and Zoey were currently over at the Matthews' place. The three sat at the kitchen table studying.

"You know the best thing about studying at your house?" Shawn asked Cory.

"The good lighting in the bathroom?" Cory wondered.

"No Feeny." Shawn said.

Knocking was then heard on the back door. Zoey turned around in her seat and saw Mr. Feeny.

"Morning." Mr. Feeny greeted on the other side of the door.

"That is really not fair." Zoey simply stated, and Mr. Feeny knocked on the door once more.

"Shawn, you're closer to the door. Let him in." Cory told him.

"Why? So he can hassle me? No. That door is doing exactly what it's supposed to." Shawn responded.

"Hey. I know Feeny, all right? The man in a pro. Now, he leaves that principal stuff at school." Cory said. He got out of his seat and walked over to the backdoor, opening it.

"Ready for the test, kids?" Mr. Feeny asked, walking inside.

Zoey sighed. "Again, not fair."

"We're studying, Mr. Feeny." Cory said.

Shawn picked up his history book off the table. "See? My history book is right here."

"Still in its original cellophane, I see." Mr. Feeny said.

Shawn nodded. "Uh-huh. I get top dollar on the resale."

"You know, Mr. Hunter, I've noticed that the students who do best in my class have usually read the book." Mr. Feeny told him.

"Yeah, what's that get 'em?" Shawn asked.

"Into college." Mr. Feeny answered.

Shawn sighed. "More books."

Both Shawn and Zoey got up from the kitchen table and stood beside Cory, who was standing near the kitchen bench as Mrs. Matthews walked downstairs.

"George. Are the kids in trouble?" Mrs. Matthews asked.

"Probably. But that's not why I'm here." Mr. Feeny said, before pulling out a small golden box and handed it over to Mrs. Matthews.

"You remembered it's my birthday this Sunday. That is so sweet." Mrs. Matthews said with a wide smile.

Mr. Matthews walked downstairs and was shocked to see Mr. Feeny in the kitchen. "Oh, morning, George. Are the kids in trouble?"

"Why does everyone think that?" Zoey asked in confusion.

"George remembered it's my birthday." Mrs. Matthews told her husband.

"Oh, you got a birthday coming up? I'm kidding. It's Sunday. How could I forget? The Eagles are playing." Mr. Matthews said.

"Not for you, honey." Mrs. Matthews responded as she opened the present and pulled out a key. "A key?"

"To my cottage in the mountains. I thought you two might enjoy a romantic getaway this weekend." Mr. Feeny explained.

Mrs. Matthews placed the key on the counter and gave Mr. Feeny's a kiss on the cheek.  "Oh, George, you are the best. Thank you. Wait a minute. I thought you sold your place in the Poconos."

"I intend to. I don't get up there very much. But I assure you, it's very romantic." Mr. Feeny responded.

"Well, that's very considerate, George. But, see, I actually have plans for her birthday." Mr. Matthews said.