Broken Families // Storybrooke

"Smart thinking," Kyla said, sitting at Regina's dining room table with her. 

"I know a thing or two about witch fights," she said. 

"Clearly things she's unaware of," Kyla said. 

They sat in silence for a moment. It was nice to be in each other's company once again and not at each other's throats. A bond was created between the two. 

"What's going on with you?" Regina asked. 

"Aside from the obvious?" She asked. 

"You seem distracted. And I see that...guy isn't with you right now." 

"The only reason he's always around is because he doesn't have any family here," Kyla explained. 

"Uh-uh," Regina disagreed. "You can't play dumb with me. What is going on?" 

Kyla took a deep breath. She thought that maybe it would be helpful to talk things out.

"Zelena is the only one that has her memory from the last year," Kyla started. 

"Right." 

"She says that Rider and I were inseparable in the Enchanted Forest. She used a lock of my hair to break him out of a prison and that he and I fell in love." 

"And you believe her?" 

"...I do," she hesitated. "I can feel it."

"Well, I've learned to never doubt your feelings. But what's the problem with that?"

"She said that now she has that same lock of my hair, which still has some magic attached to it, and I'm just...I'm afraid that whatever is about to happen with Snow's baby is going to be my fault." 

"It won't be," Regina said. Kyla scoffed. "It won't. You had my back, now I'm having yours. No matter what, we're going to defeat Zelena."

"Are you sure about that?" 

Regina stood from the table. "I've never been so sure about anything."

Kyla nodded, looking at her coffee mug. 

"Thank you for trusting me with that, by the way." 

"She said it's true love." Kyla said monotonously. "And then I asked Henry about my fairytale and he mentioned Rider by name. What am I supposed to do with that?" 

"Just wait and see where it takes you. It's the only advice I can give." 

"Is that the advice you're giving yourself for you and Robin?" 

Regina looked down at her, a shocked look on her face. 

"Oh come on, we're also not stupid," Kyla said with a smirk. 

Suddenly, the doorbell rang which made them both jump. Kyla stood up from the table and followed Regina as she walked to the door. Opening it, she saw a basket of green apples sitting on her porch. They both knew. Kyla could sense her before she breathed her first words. 

"A gift," Zelena's voice came from behind, the exact spot they were both standing just moments before. 

Zelena started by teasing Regina, touching her things, checking on her after the showdown, even sitting on her couch in the living room. They talked of their mother, then Regina asked. 

"Why are you really here?" 

Then the warning came. 

The Dark One was after Regina's heart. And he knew just where to find it.